Repro M1895 with Some Original Parts

Benji

Here are some pics of a repro (or somewhat!) M1895 helmet. I am slooooowly getting my kit together to get into WWI reenacting ( I used to do Civil War). And I really love the early war period, so I felt the need for proper early war headgear!

Its pictured on my repro M1910 Waffenrock from Schipperfabrik.

This was a slow undertaking and took over a year on the search to get parts.

The shell is from a guy that used to sell them on ebay. I did not think it was too bad. Much better than the other ones I have seen. Its a size 59cm so a bit too big for my head! So I rolled up some newspaper and put it between the shell and liner, and it seems to work okay! The cockades and chinstrap (and its hardware) are repros. I painted the cockades myself and baked the paint on.

Everything else is 100% original M1895 parts. I was lucky a couple of years ago and found a box lot of parts. There was enough in there to make my new helmet. So all the rivets, mounting posts etc, even right down to the eyelets to mount on the front plate are all original.

Now to just find the elusive square sided brass nut of proper thread!

Hope you likey my new spikey! :D

DSCN5407.jpg

DSCN5408.jpg

DSCN5409.jpg

DSCN5411.jpg

DSCN5410.jpg

DSCN5412.jpg

rob6218 said:
Nice haube, will be interesting to see you in your complete kit. Good job!!!

Thanks! If i can get with my photographer friend and find a nice day, I will have to get some pics. All I have now is the uniform and helmet. One piece slowly at a time! But I think I will be getting an ammo belt, boots, gas mask, and haversack by the end of the year. I am mostly waiting first to get a nice rifle this summer!

Back