Request for help collecting pickelhaube dimensions

Sandmann

Dear friends,
as you may know, I like to explore the history and evolution of the Pickelhaube. However, I started a new project with the support of Amy, Tony and John M and would like to ask more of you fellow collectors for support now. I would therefore be happy if anyone who wants to take part and has the time could take a few measurements (as shown in the attached pics) from as many helmets as you want and send them to me. I will then collect these helmet datas in a table, which I will make available to everyone who is interested in it, afterward. The more different helmets we measure and collect, the better the database gets.
With this collection of data, I would like to determine the average dimensions of each pickelhaube model and some of their components and thus determine the probably specified dimensions of the various models and the circulation of issued helmets. Unfortunately, dimensions were not specified in the clothing regulations before 1895. In the earlier clothing regulations this was probably done using an enclosed drawing that I did not know. It is also interesting for me how dimensionally stable the helmets were, especially the M95 and M15 helmets, since the helmet height of 21 cm to 21.3 cm was extremely tight tolerated.
I hope many of you will take part, because I only own 3 M95 officer's helmets myself and I need your help.
Thank you very much in advance for your support.
Best wishes,
Sandy
9157D069-F5E6-45CC-A74F-D124674479AD.jpeg5F483390-BDCB-46D4-B231-9F21C3C97CA8.jpegB9135A36-3BD5-4478-BBE3-82F0B28149E4.jpeg

A question Sandy……so only officer helmets? To my mind, much of this data obviously depends upon the size of the helmet. I will contribute 😀

I'm not sure if this is something that will be included but a good idea might be to record the helmets as well as the environments they came from, for example I have a baden grenadier haube that looks like it was worn by Harvey dent from batman due to heat exposure possibly from sitting near a light or lantern or possibly even a fireplace which could affect the dimensions of the helmet. One side is quite clean while the other has noticeably sunk and has had the lacquer chip and crack.

Last edited:
No, Brian every helmet is welcome. From M42 to M15, I need data from all helmets. I have only officer helmets, that’s why I ask for your support :)

Sandy, have you considered 100+ years of shrinkage in these measurements at least with many of these pieces?

Reactions: USN
Sandy, have you considered 100+ years of shrinkage in these measurements at least with many of these pieces?
Partially what I was trying to get at with my comment, alot of factors can go into the condition of many of these helmets. Especially enlisted ones that don't seem to get taken care of as much as officers. I guess that just sticks with military tradition though ;) haha

I'm aware of the possible variances, but with enough measurements of different helmets, the measurements and weights can be narrowed down into "from/to" ranges. They would certainly also help to validate sometimes confusing information in old texts.
Anyone who participates would really help me a lot. So any help is welcome.

Dear friends.
many thanks to all of you who have participated in the measurement so far.
Now I would like to share my preliminary table with you. Hopefully, I will continue to receive measurements and weights from you, because there are still some outliers in the table, but with more data input will relativize, I think. I combined the measurements with data I found in old books of the 19th century and museum entries and some seller data from the net. Some dimensions I have calculated only from known dimensions on photos.

One interesting result of this research and data collection was, for example, the change in the officer's helmet in 1899, which, to be honest, had escaped my attention until now. In the clothing regulation for officers of 1899 the spike was reduced in height, and should be the height including the base fitting only 9.5 cm, with ball even only 7.0 cm (1895: 10.5 cm - 11.5 cm). Furthermore, the Guard eagle became larger and grew in height to 12.7 cm (1895: 11.0 cm) and in width even to 28.0 cm (1895: 23.0 cm). Along with this, the Guard star of the officers was enlarged to 9.0 cm (1895: 7.3 cm).
Because of this, I also included the Garde star in the survey to see how it has evolved over the years. Unfortunately, before 1895 I could not find any measurements of its size and even nothing about the size of Guard stars for enlisted men.

I hope you will continue to participate in measuring your helmets and send me the measurements and weights to improve the table and get a good overview of how exactly the pickelhaube has evolved over the years.

Attachments

• Project Pickelhauben Dimensions.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
Dear friends,
I kindly ask for general support of members with Prussian guard helmets!
As I wrote, the diameter of the guard star was increased up to 9 cm in 1899 (from 7,3 cm in 1895), along with the increased dimensions of the guard eagle (from 23/11 cm in 1895 up to 28/12,7 cm in 1899).
Unfortunately, I don't know the guard star diameter before 1895, but I guess it varies in the same years when the height of the heraldic eagle changed. That’s why it would be great if someone with a guard helmet could measure a guard star diameter of an officer and EM helmet from 1871 - from 1860 or 1867 - and from 1842 or 1857. The dimensions of the guard eagle, measured with a cloth tape measure, would also be very helpful. Thank you very much for your support!

Back