Request for Infor Re: the Oldenburg Reserve/Landwehr Cross

I am looking for information on the Reserve/Landwehr Cross that was worn on the three Oldenburg Regt's helmets. I have a Reserve Dragoon helmet but I would like to get close-up photos of the Reserve Cross on the Infantry and the Artillery helmets. Also does anyone have a copy of the 1895 Offizier-Belkeidungsvor Schriff? I am looking for a copy of page 111 in this publication. Thank you for any help you can provide with any of this information. My email address is: [email protected]

Boy did you ask a good question. You really have to go deep to look for this one and I would like to give you a clean answer but I believe there is none. I do not have the 1895 regulation but I do have a 1911 and was able to go back and check references from the 1887 regulation.

My understanding of the entire issue is that Oldenburg had different wording in their agreement with Prussia on the military subordination than the states in Thuringia. I do not have that in the handbook -- and I do not have the citation off the top of my head but I have read this. As a result of the wording differences and the apparent indifference of the grand Duke, Oldenburg is the only minor principality/state that used Koening in their motto. We also know that if there was no motto on the Wappen then it was supposed to be used on the cross.This is clear in 1911 regulation. Larcade on page 88 of volume 1 says that the cross has the motto Koening.

However, things are very fuzzy --Das Deutsche Heer and Laine both indicate Fürst. The 1887 regulation actually show the picture on page 58 with the motto Fürst on the cross.

I have to do more digging into the agreement between Oldenburg and the Kingdom of Prussia but certainly there is a conflict in some of the references. I have pieces of the 1895 but not page 111.

Maybe someone else will jump in with a good idea or proof positive but it seems like it should be Koening but there certainly is evidence that they were not.

Joe,
I have also see the reference about the Duke being a little fuzzy on the accord with the Prussians and the citations in Laine and Das Deutsche Heer. Since the banner on the eagle says König, and I have a dragoon helmet with a LWK that says König, I have always thought that König was correct. I was doing some reseach in the 2 Vol The German Infantry from 1871 to 1914, Vol 2 by Herr and Nguyen from the Bayerisches Armeemuseum Inglstadt and on page 560 they quote the clothing order from 1895 that is supposed to specify Fürst for this LWK.

I wonder if any Forum members have any photos of an Oldenberg plate with a LWK.
Jim

Back