Research help request

Larmo

Hi Guys

Just picked up an officers quality Bavarian M1910 feldgrau tunic. Nurnberg tailors label with the man's name and December 1914 date. Was wondering if any of you who have a pre-war rangeliste could please look this guy up for me. His name was Zimmerman, possibly George (now that's timely isn't it) perhaps a reservist in the 6th Bavarian Field Artillery regiment.

Muchas Gracias Amigos (please, replies in English only) :p

Larry

Larry,

an initial look in the 1914 Bavarian "Militär-Handbuch" lists no Georg Zimmermann and in fact no field artillery officer of the name Zimmermann either active, reserve or Landwehr.

Therefore if Feld-Artillerie, presumably commissioned post mobilization. Could you please give me a steer as to why you think 6. FAR as Nürnberg was not that regiment's peacetime garrison.

Regards
Glenn

Thanks Glenn

I don't know is the simple answer. Sunday I will take a photo of the tailor's label inside the pocket so you can see for yourself where i am coming up with this idea. Sort of grabbing at straws in a way....this is a great service you do for us/me, very generous of you

Hi Joe

Again, don't know, but where they still doing OYV in 1914?

Merry Christmas to you both..

Larry

Larry, Joe,

I think we have him:

Leutnant der Reserve Georg Zimmermann, born 17 August 1894 at Nürnberg. An engineering student commissioned on 10.9.17. Initially trained by the II./Ersatz-Abteilung of 6. Feldartillerie-Regiment in 1914, he subsequently served with the regiment in the field being promoted to Gefreiter on 6.10.15, Unteroffizier on 2.12.15 and appointed as an aspirant officer on 6.3.16. Promoted to Vizewachtmeister der Reserve on 5.11.16, he was awarded the Prussian Iron Cross 2nd Class on 22 February 1917 and the wound badge in black on 8 June 1918. He further served with Bavarian Light Munitions Column Nr. 105 and Bavarian Landwehr-Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 1 and was released from service on 12 December 1918.

Regards
Glenn

wow, outstanding Glenn, simply great. I will still post the pics tomorrow of the uniform itself and the label just for fun...

Thank you :bravo:

Larry

It is amazing the information that is available here! We need to get Glenn to SOS to join the party.

Greetings Guys

Here are the images regarding the tunic in question. A few comments, all of the buttons look to have been replaced, some are brass, some are painted steel, shoulder straps removed long ago. The ends of the cuffs are frayed through and there are some scattered snags in the body of the tunic. Our friend who purchased the tunic was advised by his seller that it was found in an old house in the UK. Likely enough I suppose, they all have to be somewhere..

m1bw.jpg
9ri7.jpg
n9s4.jpg
lte8.jpg

If I may say, once more this little exchange proves the value of PH.com and its members. Here is a poor waif of a tunic, battered and worn, yet we now know a bit of the history of the soldier who wore it so long ago. Thanks again Glenn.....please come out to Louisville. :army:

Larry

Back