Reserve Offizier Hugo von Lettow Vorbeck, please help

argonne

Gents,

Can someone help me to get some more informations about the following guy?

Reserve Offizier Hugo von Lettow Vorbeck.
He should have been killed in action on the 10 September 1914 at plateau de Vauclerc, near Craonne and was in a prussian unit (classic line infantery).

I could found only one Reserve Offizier in this wellknown family which has been killed in action during WWI but his name was Oberleutnant der Reserve Alexander von Lettow Vorbeck from Danzig, RIR55. I also was not able to find his date and place of death...

I don´t know Hugos unit, date of birth nor his rank.... :( I even don´t know if he has really existed....or if his first name Hugo is right...).
A French officer brought back his Pickelhaube with Überzug after the guy was killed and he used to tell his family that the name of the killed german officer was Hugo von Lettow Vorbeck...

Thank you guys!

Philippe

He may have been brother to Paul von Lettow Vorbeck. Paul von Lettow Vorbeck had two sons, but they both were born after WWI. Sadly they both were killed in WWII.

I don't believe Paul von Lettow Vorbeck had a son prior to WWI. Paul von Lettow Vorbeck was born in 1870 so he would have been old enough to have a son in WWI, but I don't recall seeing anything. I'm assuming a brother or nephew.

Philippe,

Hauptmann Arndt v. Lettow-Vorbeck (10.3.77) of Füsilier-Regiment Nr. 80 was killed on 22 August 1914 at Namur.

Hauptmann Rüdiger v. Lettow-Vorbeck (11.9.78) of 2. Garde-Regiment zu Fuß was wounded at the Bois de Logeast (East of Gomiecourt) on 3 October 1914 and died in Cambrai on 9 October 1914

Oberleutnant d.R. Alexander (Sascha) v. Lettow-Vorbeck of Garde-Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 1 (7.3.81) was killed on 23 August 1914 at Marbaix-Gosée in Belgium as a company commander in RIR 55.

No Hugos!

Regards
Glenn

Glenn,

Thank you for that!!
This is very similar to what I have found....No Hugo at all...... :-k

Philippe

Back