Reserve-Regiment Nr. 15

Glennj

Here is a photograph at mobilisation of the officers of II./Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 15. Interesting in this particular photograph is the Jäger officer in the second row (9), one Leutnant der Reserve Schürmann, whose peacetime assignment was with Jäger-Bataillon Nr. 5. Unusually he is wearing a number on his Überzug and the R over 15 of R.I.R 15 at that.

R.I.R. 15's active component of officers and SNCOs were in the main provided by the Kaiser Franz Gerde-Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 2 and the School of Musketry at Wünstorf hence the litzen seen on on several of the officers' tunics. Number 16, Hauptmann Schotte, wears the tunic of
Leib-Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 8.

Regards
Glenn

rir15.jpg

Glenn,

But this is beyond fantastic! I feel like Jimmy Carter, in that I am lusting in my heart for this photo. Given the identification numbers, it must be somewhat large. Did you get the information of the regiments from a rank list? Where else would you get the feeder information that tells you where most of the officers came from? I mean, this is a perfect set piece example of regimental transfer. In the pickelhaube world, this swirls around changing of helmet plates. The inclusion of number nine with the Uberzug mark like that is fantastic!! I have been working on Uberzug's lately and this is a perfect example! Thank you for adding this. You wouldn't happen to have an Uberzug picture with an"E" on it, would you? Can I talk you out of the electrons and the relative permissions? Great find.

Hi Joe,

the photograph and the accompanying names and previous asignments are in the history of R.I.R. 15 which was published in 1929. Actually they get Leutnant Schürmann's original unit wrong! According to the 1914 Prussian Army Rangliste he was a reserve officer in Jäger-Bataillon Nr. 5. They say Jäger-Bataillon Nr. 6!

I'll email you a larger scan with the names and their original units.

Regards
Glenn

Glenn,

I find this Tschako cover interesting as well. If one had just seen this officer alone, a first thought might be that he is from the 15. Reserve Jäger Batl..

Joe,

I have a picture of an "E" on a helmet cover, but I don't see any buttons to click on so that I can add a photo. I've never added a photo on this new site and I don't see anything on the "post a reply" page. Do I have limited access or something?

Chip

Chip,
There is no way to do it directly on the site. You have to remember to sign on...you guest you! You have to FTP the picture first. Otto is the expert on how to do this for free. Chas uses photobucket. I use my own site space.

Now for the E picture. Email me the scan and I will surely post it for you. I also would like to get permission to publish it. Or buy the photo. I don't have one and the Uberzug sources seem to ignore most of them.

Joe,

I think the reason that these covers are somewhat ignored is that there were many less units wearing them and the regulations were not widely known until the 1980s, when a friend of mine who was working at the Bavarian Army Museum discovered them in the museum library. As a matter of fact, I sent this information to Major Hans-Rudolf von Stein and he subsequently wrote an article for Zeitschrift für Heereskunde about it. Both Pietsch and Kraus do not even mention it in their books, even though they discuss the subject in some detail.

By the way, I have a good selection of original helmet cover numbers (both red and green) that I bought as a lot at a Stuttgart show, back in 1979.

Chip

Joe,

I believe so, and if not, I can get it from the national WWI museum here in Kansas City. They have been a subscriber since the the 1980s.

Chip

Back