Restoration Busbies/Pelzmützen

Sergei1877

Hello . They sent an officer's hussar cap for restoration in such a deplorable state. I will try to restore it, of course the fur will have to be replaced with a new one. and in general there is a lot of work to restore it. I will try to bring her back to life)
DSC02312.JPG
DSC02313.JPG
DSC02315.JPG
DSC02316.JPG
DSC02317.JPG

Seems to be a hard project. All the best and I‘m looking forward to see the result :bravo:

Is that a Russian busby or German Sergei? I don't see the usual bamboo/cane interior structure that we find in the German ones. That is a project that is beyond my skills and I look forward to see more photos as you restore this piece. Merry Christmas from Canada! :thumb up:

b.loree said:
Is that a Russian busby or German Sergei? I don't see the usual bamboo/cane interior structure that we find in the German ones. That is a project that is beyond my skills and I look forward to see more photos as you restore this piece. Merry Christmas from Canada! :thumb up:

it looks like a German hussar hat. Russian hussar hats were sewn in a completely different way. As I understand it, these are the remnants of a custom-made officer's hussar cap. German officers' hats were not made with a bamboo frame like the caps of private hussars. In addition, there is a cord of etiquette from this hat and a chin scaly strap,

The sheepskin has a much different look. Thanks for providing those photos of the Russian Busbies. Looking forward to seeing this one come back to life!

Well my question was obviously answered, thank you to all. Beautiful silk liners on those Officer busbies! Sergei, does this mean you will be out hunting bears after Christmas to get a suitable new cover for this busby? :D

b.loree said:
Well my question was obviously answered, thank you to all. Beautiful silk liners on those Officer busbies! Sergei, does this mean you will be out hunting bears after Christmas to get a suitable new cover for this busby? :D
I have a fur seal, it seems to work too. but it will be a pity to kill the bear) :)

after a long break in work, he took the time to restore this hussar cap. in the future I will put the accessories. preserved chin scales and hussar cord140586350_956754968189326_3165106323837143578_n.jpg140608659_1566541560206457_7630299546525669325_n.jpgDSC02411.JPGDSC02412.JPGDSC02414.JPGDSC02415.JPGDSC02416.JPG

Last edited:
Sergei,
Thanks for the very informative thread about Russian Busbies and the difference between Russian and German Hussar caps.
Best regards,
John

A question Sergei.....why are the Imperial Russian feldzeichen colours orange and black? They are also metal. Years ago I had one in my collection.

Back