RESTORING HELMET

SHOOTEST

I JUST PICKED UP THIS HELMET FROM AN ESTATE SALE THIS LAST WEEKEND AND WANT TO RESTORE IT BACK TO ORIGINAL CONDITION. I BELIEVE SOME OF THE PARTS HAVE BEEN REPLACED...THE TWO ROSETTES I PUT ON SO I KNOW THEY ARE NOT ORIGINAL TO THIS HELMET. WOULD LIKE SOME FEEDBACK AS TO WHAT WOULD BE CORRECT. THIS IS THE FIRST TIME USING THIS SITE SO HOPE I AM POSTING IN THE CORRECT AREA.View attachment 3

Welcome and thanks for posting these pictures of your helmet. This is a case of finding missing parts for a helmet that is in very good condition. That liner is pristine! This is a private purchase officer helmet with correct officer liner, rear spine, visors and visor trim. It has Model 1891 side posts on it which would make it a roughly 1915. I would look inside to make sure that these are original to the helmet. Look for scratches on the metal prongs, tin discs and a tight fit. I would be surprised if they are not original to the helmet, as everything looks good except for the spike which is an OR's
The model M15 officer spike was also different and although it looked much like a regular officer spike it had a fitting similar to the OR' M15 in that it could be taken off with a simple twist of the hand. There was no threaded bolt to unscrew the spike as was traditional. Unfortunately, I do not have one of these M 15 officer helmets in my collection but other members do so perhaps they will join in here with pictures. I believe there are pictures in other posts so have a look on the forum.
Here is a list of what you need to complete this helmet....officer helmet plate (looks Prussian by the holes), Prussian officer cockades but with M 91 holes to fit the side posts and ideally the M 15 chin scales and officer spike. These last 2 (scales and spike) are going to be very hard to find. What you could do is buy a regular officer spike and put that on plus a leather chin strap to complete it for now.

Back