RJR.32.

Well the waiting is over and Michelle arrived at the class with the helmet - causing much furore and the teacher confiscated it and we cant get it back till the end of term now, which is a shame. It's in good shape all round - very well kept in fact, but no plate. Some depot marks too, "RJR 32, 1906" and some others illegible - looks like it was re-issued to RJR32. at some point. Jerome's Grandfather was a 'Poilu', and copped it back from a battlefield apparently. This is why he drags Michelle 'round every Great war cemetary in northern France looking at names and taking pictures. So he wants to keep it and I dont blame him either really - it will be really nice after a bit of a clean up and an original plate put on. Everybody was fascinated by it and we spent a long time studying it - which really pleased teacher.
Anyhow, as Jerome might like to complete his heirloom, my question is: Rgt.32 is listed as 2nd. Thuringan. My books all say straight Prussian line plate.Why would they not wear the eagle with a star of some kind like JR 95, 153 or whatever -'cos they [R32] are also Thuringen,right? Here we go again. :oops:

This Regiment had an auspicious start. First why did it not have a state wappen? Perhaps it was part of the Prussian enclaves with inside the states. I don't know for certain. RJR 32, was one of the original mobilized reserve infantry regiments. It mobilized three battalions and became part of the 44th reserve brigade of the 22nd Reserve Division. At the beginning of the war, it was with the fourth reserve Corps. This was part of the First Army in the far right wing of the German wheel. Between August 30 and September 2, I believe the 44th reserve brigade was the far right wing of the German army.

Do not get caught in the trap that supposes that JR32 directly correlates to RJR 32. In this case it does. But in many cases it does not. The initial regimental commander of RJ are 32 came from, JR32. Two of the Battalion commanders came from JR 95 and one from JR 96.

Hi Mike:
I hate it when civilians decide to keep their grand dads' helmets!! However, my sources also indicate just a typical line infantry Prussian wappen on any JR32 helme. The Regt was formed in 1815 but I can not answer as to why they were not given some special sort of wappen. Perhaps another member has some information on this. If your friend wants to complete the helmet with an original wappen let me know. Brian

Nice one Guy's. I'll pass this on and try to find out what Rgt. Jeromes Grandad was in and where he fought. Fascinating stuff!

Yes Brian, I'll ask what he wants to do about the plate for sure. :)

Back