Robert H. Haskell III Estate Helmets on Julia Auction

Just a little follow-up. Based on information I got from James. There was a really nasty blizzard but the auction house was so packed that it was standing room only. Allegedly the auctioneers have never seen anything like it. Prices were amazingly high and competition was very keen. I'm not sure who ended up with what if anything. I know James and I got one lot at the very end but it was not the one we were really going for. Considering there was a serious markup for a buyer's fee high prices is both good and bad news for the hobby. Maybe some others can share their experiences with this. Sure were a lot of helmets and a lot of interest.

I was there. In fact I am still there since my flight was cancelled because of the snowstorm...
If James was present I really regret that I ignored it, but we never met in person before. I did not find the room to be that crowded... there were many free seats even though people were standing behind; in fact the majority of the deals were made on the phone. I counted no less than 17 employees simultaneously on landline phones, not to mention cell phones! And yes, nothing was left behind. Prices were usually high, with a few rocketing at the end as usual. No cheap deal for sure.
Julia is a GREAT auction house. All items freely available to preview in a back room till they have been sold. Large magnifying lenses available to look at details. Very nice, relaxed, friendly atmosphere. Food and drinks offered during the whole auction. Employees and managers are extremely pleasant and helpful. I got rides back and forth to my hotel each time. And of course there was a lot to see if you would get tired of spikes: the gun collection for sale was absolutely fabulous.
Bruno

I was not there, but on the phone the whole time with a very nice lady. She was the one giving me all the information on the storm, people there etc.

As Joe stated we got blown out on the 1 lot we really wanted, and ended up with a secondary lot at the end for our max price.

Now we will see how it all shakes out with fees, shipping etc.

Best

James

Way to go guys :thumb up: Glad to know the pickelhaube-pals were represented there in person and on the phone....Bruno did you pick anything up?

Sounds like it was quite the auction... especially if you were able to purchase! Great on-line catalog too. Was the paper one of just the helmet and are there any left? I hope to see photos of your winning lots.

:D Ron

Larmo said:
Way to go guys :thumb up: Glad to know the pickelhaube-pals were represented there in person and on the phone....Bruno did you pick anything up?

Well, I had pre-selected 6-8 helmets on the pictures published online, but several of these did not meet my expectations when in my hands... Finally I found myself bidding on just one, which I won, despite a fierce fight as it seemed that the rest of the world was on the phone bidding against me..
The fact that many helmets came as lots did not make things easier. For instance there was a lovely one for a Fahnrich in Wurtemberg artillery. Not the rarest hat but condition was fabulous. Unfortunately it came with 3 other helmets of lesser interest...

Unfortunately it came with 3 other helmets of lesser interest...

Same issue on our side. We probably got six or eight in the lot and only wanted two. A selling opportunity! :thumb up:

I just heard that the principle players and purchasers in the auction were a Mexican father and son, 2 European dealers and an active phone bidder. My BIG bid for the Mecklenburg General did not last 5 seconds. It was fun and exciting to see so many primo helmets at one time. I guess the market place for helmets is still there.

randy trawnik said:
I just heard that the principle players and purchasers in the auction were a Mexican father and son, 2 European dealers and an active phone bidder. My BIG bid for the Mecklenburg General did not last 5 seconds. It was fun and exciting to see so many primo helmets at one time. I guess the market place for helmets is still there.

I suppose these were the 2 spanish speaking gentlemen who were seated just in front of me and indeed did a lot of the in-room bidding. They paid (cash; I know because I was next in line) and disappeared once the last helmet had been auctioned.
The Mecklemburg General closed at $ 22,000, which makes a total of over $ 25,000 with buyer's premium added.

Actually, there was a Canadian bidder there who cherry-picked the lot. He walked away with the 12 best helmets in that auction.

He drove down to Maine for the viewing with a knowledgeable collector as his adviser. They examined every helmet he was interested in and 1/2 of what he was originally interested in he crossed off his list after his adviser examined them.
He paid cash and left with 12 untouched completely original and rare officer helmets. Hands-down the best 12 helmets in that auction.

RoyA said:
Actually, there was a Canadian bidder there who cherry-picked the lot. He walked away with the 12 best helmets in that auction.

He drove down to Maine for the viewing with a knowledgeable collector as his adviser. They examined every helmet he was interested in and 1/2 of what he was originally interested in he crossed off his list after his adviser examined them.
He paid cash and left with 12 untouched completely original and rare officer helmets. Hands-down the best 12 helmets in that auction.

Roy I would not say he left with the 12 best helmets! A number of those were bought on the phone (and I got one too...)
Bruno

Of course Bruno...that was only the opinion of his advisor.
Best is defined by each individual's own set of criteria.

That Canadian Roy refers to would have been me, and by "best" I think it's safe to say that term Roy used was according to the personal and specific criteria I had, which didn't include any of the Mannschaften lots or General's helmets. I singled out some lots and was fortunate to win the lots I was after. Some good deals, some not so much, but it was an interesting and enjoyable experience save the white knuckle driving for 2 days after the auction was over.

I can confirm the auction had plenty of empty seats but the action was extremely vigorous.

This is what I came home with to add to my small but growing collection.

This was the viewing area, forgive the blurry iPhone pictures.

Also as a novice poster here, I'll have to figure out how to post the photos within a post vs this sorry.

Bruno you must have been right behind me as well, as I was behind the Mexican father and son when they paid as well, I saw their passports and spoke with them downstairs briefly when we picked up our lots together. A very nice couple of gentlemen.

Of note, if you left with your lot you had to pay Maine state tax adding another 5.5% to the total and of course I had to pay GST at the Canadian border, another 5%. But as I said, overall I am more than pleased with the helmets and prices cost averaged out were fair for what I had budgeted including all the premiums and taxes.

View attachment 1

Doug,

Welcome to the forum! I think there are a reasonable number of nice guys here. You have more than a modest little collection! Very nice. I do not envy you that drive but I think that the quality is higher than SOS. Glad you got something!

This is the helmet that I wanted – and got. It was also the reason for my discussion on the phone with Haskell long ago. I will be very interested to hold it in my hands. Sergio used to have it and then I went to Kube. I was asleep at the switch there.
Lx1.jpg

Congratulations Doug. Quite a harvest indeed!
I was notably impressed by the IR115 helmet with white fittings you bought. Flawless condition. I own the very one pictured in Laine's book (the one that stands in front of your helmets on the picture you posted). Otherwise I would have tried to get this one for sure.
I avoided to pay the Maine tax by having the item shipped. I have not received it yet.
Interesting auction overall, despite the fact that I was grounded for 2 days by the snowstorm; flight cancelled 4 times in a row.
8 F in Fairfield, 82 F in LA...

Bruno

Hey Doug,

Welcome!
Nice buys indeed! Is there a mixture of fiber and leather helmets there? I don't know what you paid (and don't care), but I'd say every penny spent was well worth it. Beauties! Now, if we could get the guys from Mexico to join the forum! :)

:D Ron

Back