rosettes and chinscales

gregM

Back to the learning tree.
Here is a Prussian OR helmet with flate chinscales and flat thingys
to hold them on. That's good right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290265708535&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

Why is there such a difference in color? Are the holder-oner thingys
wrong for this helmet or are they just completely discolored from
poor storage?

Does the rest of this helmet look correct? (not that I am buying, I just
installed a new furnace so no funds) There is obviously considerable
age damage to the haulb. Bad stiching, cracks, dry rot, liner ect. but
is it a corect helmet?

Thanks,
Greg

Hi.

It may be that the scale rosettes are zinc or some other base metal.
When brass was in short supply during WWI the Germans resorted to substitute materials. I have an officer's helmet spine stamped from steel, for example.
Regards,
Brad

Sorry for that. My wife was using the computor just a few mineuts
ago :x

Try this one--

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290265708535&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

gregM said:
// Are the holder-oner thingys wrong for this helmet or are they just completely discolored from poor storage?

Ah Greg...... always with the technical terms! :laughing9:

As Brad said, zinc fitting were often used during the war years, and the gilding was poor often resulting in grey fittings.

So it (the holder-oner thingy) is just called a fitting? I am sure
there must be a better name than that :D

Greg, in answer to one of your questions, the helmet is correct and original. To be precise , this is a Prussian infantry officer helmet. We know that it is infantry due to the flat chinscales. It is officer because of the eagles' crown is pierced. It also has the officer private purchase style liner and stars holding the spike base to the helmet. It is very common to see zinc fittings ie chinscales, rosettes, spikes, stars etc mixed in with brass parts on mid to late war helmets. Brian

Thank you Brian.

Final price was $417.
I think someone got a deal. I would have tried for this one if my disposable income wasn't already disposded of. :(

Back