Royals visiting the troops on the Fronts

During my searches in my digital photo collection , I sometimes stumble on period pictures of German Royals, visiting the Eastern and the Western Front. Perhaps it is interesting to open a topic here, to show to each other and to help each other identifying dates and other high officials on the photos around these royals.
To open this topic about German Royals visiting the troops on the front I will show you some out of 186 of the famous propaganda post cards of Paul Hoffmann, & Co. Berlin- Schöneberg.
There is alas not much known to me about this Paul Hoffmann than only this concise info I found on the website of the “Deutsches Historischen Museum Berlin”:
“Die Lebensdaten Paul Hoffmanns sind nicht bekannt. Unter dem Namen "Paul Hoffmann & Co." führte er ein Atelier bzw. eine Agentur in Berlin-Schöneberg. Er war einer der offiziellen Fotografen für Kriegsberichterstattung im Ersten Weltkrieg. Im DHM befindet sich ein Konvolut Propaganda-Postkarten (Ansichten diverser Kriegsschauplätze und -einsätze, Schützengräben, Gefechtsstellungen, Kriegerdenkmäler und ähnliches).
* BA [Bildarchiv]: *ca. 200 O [Originalabzüge]”
Anyone, who has more info about the agency of Paul Hoffmann and it’s photographers, please, share it with us.

These photo’s are showing König Friedrich August III (* 1865, † 1932) von Sachsen, visiting the Eastern Front:

dfy8zk.jpg

4r9vnb.jpg

Königliche Hoheit, Prinz Eitel Friedrich von Preußen (8 1883-+1942), somewhere on the Eastern Front.

15xn2aw.jpg

Crown Prinz Rupprecht von Bayern in La Vallée, in the Somme valley near Peronne.

21lilhe.jpg

Because of the appearance of General van Heeringen (next to the Crown Prinz) and the location, somewhere in the Vosges, this picture is one of my personal favorites: Crown Prinz Little Willie and the Kaiser.

wgwz1u.jpg

If this topic is interesting enough, I will share later some more pictures. Perhaps you have other more interesting pictures of Royals visiting the Front? I am curious.

An interesting foot note to the royal visits, I read one account of how new uniforms were issued to the troops for the royal visit, but as soon as the royals were gon, the new univorms were gathered up and the tattered uniforms were re-issued to the troops, I suspect that this was not an uncommon practice.
Best
Gus

Gustaf said:
An interesting foot note to the royal visits, I read one account of how new uniforms were issued to the troops for the royal visit, but as soon as the royals were gon, the new univorms were gathered up and the tattered uniforms were re-issued to the troops, I suspect that this was not an uncommon practice.
Best
Gus

I'm sure this happened in a lot of armies. Can't have the troops looking bad for the sovereign!!!!

Thank you all, Gentlemen!
Brett, your photo was missing in “my” Paul Hoffmann collection, which counts now, thanks to you, the number of 187 photo’s. Thanks a lot.

I continue with 4 photo’s, which my Facebook Friends will immediately recognise. These are rather rare photo’s of King Wilhelm II von Württemberg, visiting his troops at the Somme Front in 1916. These pictures are made by Lt. Armin Stäbler of R.FA.R.26.

102ro7n.jpg

102jeoj.jpg

ruod9d.jpg

21esqbr.jpg

Of course I will continue to search more and more and I will add, if found, some other pictures.

Back to the photo’s of the Hoffmann Agency. Of course the Kaiser was the most photographed of all German Monarchs.

2d82f54.jpg

This one is for me personally interesting, as it is showing also Gen. von Heeringen with his typical grey, long beard.

2mnpqbl.jpg

See also this one for Gen. von Heeringen from above, which I repeat here again:

2agrwxl.jpg

The Austrian Front.

zyaatz.jpg

Somewhere along the West Front.

2lt5z5s.jpg

Can anyone of you connect the photo's to the exact events, locations and the dates? I do realise that this is a difficult question.
:twisted:

One of my favourites, Kaiser Wilhelm II with Esad Pascha at Gallipoli 1917. Wilhelm's in Ottoman uniform.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-2005-0083%2C_Kaiser_Wilhelm_II._auf_Gallipoli.jpg

from Bundesarchiv / Wiki Commons

Cheers
Chris

Back