Russian archaeology

Sergei1877 said:
edwin said:
Lviv was called Lemberg during ww1 and was part of the Austro-Hungarian empire. Lemberg was the scene of many bloody battles, including the Br, usilov offensive (see also Norman Stone's book on the Eastern front). The latter is painfully evident from the many interesting finds from these former battle fields.

With regards to me previous question, I was wondering what you would do if human remains were encountered. This seems to me a real possibility based on the number of personal items that you found (coins, uniform buttons)?

Regards,

Edwin

At us many search groups which are engaged in a burial place of remains of soldiers. In general bury with honors

Thanks for your prompt reply and offcourse welcome to the forum. Your answer certainly answers my question because I am of the opinion that these soldiers, from both sides, wo were missing for so long deserve a respectful burial after nearly a century. Once human remains are found in France or Belgium, the commonwealth war graves commission or deutsche volksbund kriegsgräberfürsorge ensures a proper burial. How is this arranged in the Ukraine?

Regards,

Edwin

edwin said:
Sergei1877 said:
edwin said:
Lviv was called Lemberg during ww1 and was part of the Austro-Hungarian empire. Lemberg was the scene of many bloody battles, including the Br, usilov offensive (see also Norman Stone's book on the Eastern front). The latter is painfully evident from the many interesting finds from these former battle fields.

With regards to me previous question, I was wondering what you would do if human remains were encountered. This seems to me a real possibility based on the number of personal items that you found (coins, uniform buttons)?

Regards,

Edwin

At us many search groups which are engaged in a burial place of remains of soldiers. In general bury with honors

Thanks for your prompt reply and offcourse welcome to the forum. Your answer certainly answers my question because I am of the opinion that these soldiers, from both sides, wo were missing for so long deserve a respectful burial after nearly a century. Once human remains are found in France or Belgium, the commonwealth war graves commission or deutsche volksbund kriegsgräberfürsorge ensures a proper burial. How is this arranged in the Ukraine?

Regards,

Edwin

We have voluntary patriotic search groups which are engaged in search of remains of the Soviet soldiers of victims in fights for the Native land in the Great Patriotic War 1941-1945 гг
Unfortunately at us the First World War is forgotten
, Though Russian soldiers was lost most of all and their contribution to a general victory was high
In Ukraine as spend official burials of the found remains of soldiers with all military honors. And if will carry that and can find relatives of the soldier
I have a token of the Romanian soldier of the victim near Odessa and its helmet, but unfortunately I haven't found its relatives I could return them its mortal token

Here are some more photos from Sergei, I have been slow getting them posted as I have been busy, and the first arrived the days the forum was down, and I forgot about them until I received the photo of Sergei's collection, We may need to fire up the truck and head to his house. I wonder what the computer translator will be able to do with this post:)
DSC05424.jpg

DSC05418.jpg

DSC05417.jpg

DSC05480.jpg

Best
Gus

Please tell me what kind of option attachment to the helmet eagle on brass bolt? There is some more information on the mounting?

Hello Sergei,
The eagle wappen should be held by 2 leather tabs/wedges to the body/shell as per the below photos:

Reverse of a Prussian eagle wappen showing the 2 metal 'loops' where the leather tabs would go:
PrussianWappen-InfantryEMPickelhaubeM1915-1_zps757d6b67.jpg

The inside of an EM Pickelhaube showing the l;eather tabs holding the plate to the leather shell through metal loops similar to the above:
BavarianInfantryEMPickelhaubeM1915i.jpg

Hope this helps!

RON said:
Hello Sergei,
The eagle wappen should be held by 2 leather tabs/wedges to the body/shell as per the below photos:

Reverse of a Prussian eagle wappen showing the 2 metal 'loops' where the leather tabs would go:
PrussianWappen-InfantryEMPickelhaubeM1915-1_zps757d6b67.jpg

The inside of an EM Pickelhaube showing the l;eather tabs holding the plate to the leather shell through metal loops similar to the above:
BavarianInfantryEMPickelhaubeM1915i.jpg

Hope this helps!

yes but this metal helmet mount one bolt

Well this bolt seems wrong to me. I've never seen wappens 'pierced' in their middle that way...

The EM wappens (soldiers & NCOs) were fixed to the shell with leather tabs as per my previous photos; for the M1895 & M1915 models at least.

RON said:
Well this bolt seems wrong to me. I've never seen wappens 'pierced' in their middle that way...

The EM wappens (soldiers & NCOs) were fixed to the shell with leather tabs as per my previous photos; for the M1895 & M1915 models at least.
yes, but the findings indicate that this option has been mounting. And at the helm is the hole for the bolt

You're right Sergei, maybe this was a peculiarity of some of the ersatz helmets...

Maybe Karel could post a photo of the inside of his (impeccable as always) M15 Stahlblech for us to see the mechanism?

RON said:
You're right Sergei, maybe this was a peculiarity of some of the ersatz helmets...

Maybe Karel could post a photo of the inside of his (impeccable as always) M15 Stahlblech for us to see the mechanism?
Karel can provide me with more detailed pictures I will be very grateful :)

Wonderful things Sergi you are lucky to have access to these old battle fields, you bring the history alive by cleaning these items up and displaying them. those long dead boys would not mind.

Back