Rusty old Kokades

cesper

I recently purchased my first Pickelhaube helmet :) . I am currently cleaning it up per the advice given on Tony Schnurr's web page (thanks to all for the recommendation). The Kokades that came with my helmet were in pretty rough shape... discolored (the whites were dark brown), and a good (bad) amount of rust coming through the black painted areas. I gently cleaned the colored areas which really improved the colors.

Can any one recommend something for the rusted black areas? I suspect that I could remove the rust with some Naval Jelly, but this would most likely expose the underlying bare metal which would inevitably rust again. Should I leave the rust alone?!? Can I clean it and then apply something to stop the rust? I suspect that gun oil would do the trick but since the Kokades lie against the leather shell of the helmet, I am concerned about affecting the lacquered shell. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Craig

Hi Craig,
Check out this thread, http://pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=260&highlight=rust , Mind you that it quickly degraded into a free for all of childish jokes, but the message was what you seek. The product is called Evapo Rust. I have not used this product, but Brian recomends it, so it must be good. If this thread breaks down ito a discussion of beer, it will be Laurie's fault, and not Joe's, because Joe has not been released from the mental institution yet (we are hoping he will be home for Christmas).
I would like to thank Margo for the job she has done on this site, if there is any topic you want to read, just go to the search button at the top of the page, click on it and then you will be given a windo to type the topic into, hit search and all the topics that have that word in it will be found. I might suggest that the topic be spacific, if you type Pickelhaube into the search, you will probably get every thread on the site.
Best wishes
Gus

Hi Craig:

I suspect any petroleum based product might eventually soften the paint as well. I would be inclined to leave well enough alone and check the development of further rust through a climate controled environment.

Chas.

Thank you both for your advice... I'm going to ponder this a bit... although the Evapo-Rust sounds like a good option... it apparently includes no solvents and is also "an excellent rust inhibitor". Hmmmm... once this project is complete, I'll try to post some pictures.

Best,
Craig

I leave mine alone, and have taken the advice of others and gone to complete climate control in my room!

James

Hi Craig,

Welcome to the forum and forgive Gus his ramblings, he means well. I think the chemicals in his gas mask have affected his brain. Gus, that is you in there, isn't it?

I am the group heretic. I come up with all manner of mad schemes for restoring and refurbishing 'haubes. I borrow ideas from my other areas of interest (swords and classic cars) and introduce them here for members to consider.

In this case, Charles is giving you good counsel. You don't want to leave a petroleum-based product in contact with old paint, they can react. However, as part of a cleaning regimen, there is little harm. The trick is to clean off the Evapo-rust or whatever when you are done. And, the way to do that is with a very soft brush (an infant's toothbrush, for example) and (here's a secret from the classic car boys) a solution of baby shampoo and warm water.

A gentle massage with the toothbrush will loosen any further bits of rust and the shampoo will clean out the Evapo-rust. Then, just rinse with clean, cold water. I would be inclined to repeat the shampooing and rinsing steps once or twice, then dry with a hairdryer on "Warm" setting, not "Hot."

Were it me, I would add one more finishing step to protect the metal pieces: Give them a light coat of a very good quality car wax (with Carnauba) - this is what the high-end sword collectors use and, of course, the car buffs.

Here's another thread on a related topic:

http://pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=500&highlight=

And, Gus, what's wrong with beer, might I ask!!!?

Good luck and a Merry Christmas.

Cheers,

Laurie

Thanks Laurie,

Hmmmm... car wax. I like the sounds of that. I'm definitely going to use that piece of adivce.

On a similar note, is there anything that can retard the tarnishing of brass as well (like car wax... with carnauba)? As much as I love a polished brass, I hate the concept of re-polishing antique brass over and over again... and I own a ton of it (lamps... clocks... furniture). Nothing's worse than brass that's been polished through to the underlying metals.

Craig

Hi Craig,

You're very welcome!

I do know that a definite thumbsdown goes to lacquering metal pieces - Lacquer yellows with age and tends to scale off.

I haven't tried car wax on brass. I suspect that it might work. It wouldn't be too different from what bronze sculptors do - they patinate the bronze to the colour they want and then wax it to protect it - this method has definitely withstood the test of time.

Personally, I like old brass if it acquires a nice even, mellow patina; the hard part is if it gets fingerprints on it.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Laurie

Hi Craig, I would'nt worry too much about the brasswork tarnishing and I'd do as little as possible to the helmet in general - I think the patina of age is attractive on a helmet as long as it's not decrepit or disintegrating in any way.

And, Gus, what's wrong with beer, might I ask!!!?
I knew Laurie would try to get this thread off topic and on to beer, but thanks to a well moderated forum, it is back on the problem of rust.
I have to admit that I agree with Laurie about a patina on brass, but then I do prefer the grey stuff to brass anyway.
Gus

Hell, Laurie - you had to go and mention the chestnut ones didnt you! I dont have any at hand right now - it's all at the inlaws place and all I got is blasted Kronenbourg and we're stuck in front of bloody awful french 'Star Academy'.

I told you Laurie would derail this topic into a beer discussion...too bad Joe is missing it, but he should be out of the nut house tomorrow.
Gxu

Gustaf said:
I told you Laurie would derail this topic into a beer discussion...too bad Joe is missing it, but he should be out of the nut house tomorrow.
Gxu

Not derailed Gus, alochol is a GOOD rust preventative ... the more taken the less lightly you are to develop rust.

Hic Hic

Michael!

No chestnut ale! Aggh! This will not do!

And if the only other excuse for a beer is Kronenburg, I suspect you may have to take extreme measures:

Either move North to beer country; or

Switch to wine!

Hang in there, lad. This, too, will pass!

Come to think of it, excuse me for a moment....

Cheers,

Laurie

Back