S/98 Extra-Seitengewehr

SCHUPO

Gents,

I thought I would show a private purchase (Extrawaffen) Imperial German Model 98 style dress bayonet. This bayonet is styled as the S.98 (Seitengewehr M/98) in German literature. This Extra-Seitengewehr has no bayonet lug attachment nor does it have a muzzle ring so it will not affix to a rifle. These dress bayonets were used solely for walking out dress or for wear off duty. These sidearms are quite scarce on the collector market in my experience.

This bayonet has a long flat nickel plated blade that is fully etched on both sides. Unlike the issue bayonet that has a pipe back polished steel blade with a long fuller this blade is wide and flat to accommodate the extra cost etching.

The bayonet has a standard black leather scabbard with nickeled steel fittings to match the nickel plated hilt. It also has an original black leather frog and a correct Enlisted bayonet knot (Troddel) to indicate the unit.

Attachments

• S98 etched complete.JPG
    S98 etched complete.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 16
  • S98 etched blade.JPG
    S98 etched blade.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 16
  • S98 etched blade back.JPG
    S98 etched blade back.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 14
  • S98 etched hilt.JPG
    S98 etched hilt.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 13
  • S98 etched pommel.JPG
    S98 etched pommel.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 18
Thank you for your likes.

Here is another interesting variation of the S/98. This is a shortened version of the bayonet that has been arsenal altered (not by Bubba) and nickle plated. Notice this was originally an item of issue bayonet with inspection markings on the pommel. It is believed by most collectors that this is a Naval (Marine) alteration.

Attachments

• Bayonet short S98 nickel plated.JPG
    Bayonet short S98 nickel plated.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 14
  • Bayonet S98 kurtz.JPG
    Bayonet S98 kurtz.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Bayonet short S98 nickel pommel.JPG
    Bayonet short S98 nickel pommel.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 13
Back