Sachsen Altenburg IR 153

I'm pleased to share this one with you: Helmet for officers of the I and II Battalions of Infantry Regiment 153 of the duchie of Sachsen Altenburg/post 1897.

It was marked by the vendor as Sachsen Weimar, but given the all green Landeskokarde with silver band, this isn't correct.

I look forward to your comments!

best regards

Marcel

SachsenAltenburgIR153001.jpg

SachsenAltenburgIR153002.jpg

SachsenAltenburgIR153007.jpg

SachsenAltenburgIR153008.jpg

SachsenAltenburgIR153009.jpg

SachsenAltenburgIR153011.jpg

SachsenAltenburgIR153012.jpg

SachsenAltenburgIR153013.jpg

SachsenAltenburgIR153014.jpg

SachsenAltenburgIR153015.jpg

SachsenAltenburgIR153018.jpg

SachsenAltenburgIR153019.jpg

SachsenAltenburgIR153020.jpg

A very rare and beautiful helme. The details on the wappen are excellent. I have never seen holes though in the Saxe shield before. Unusual.

b.loree said:
A very rare and beautiful helme. The details on the wappen are excellent. I have never seen holes though in the Saxe shield before. Unusual.

Brian,

See page 572 of Volume II of "The German Infantry 1871/1914"of Ulrich Herr/Jens Nguyen: there's a close up of a similar shield with holes around the shield.

Thanks for your comments!

Marcel

That should have a Prussian pattern eagle Wappen and Bandeau.

From what I have seen on ebay. :joker:

Glückwünsche. Sie müssen ja glücklich sein!

I have to admit that my first look at this helmet was a bit quick... Looking at it again and again, I think the starburst might be placed upside down, it seems that it's positioned a bit to low...
Concerning the holes, that's something else... It seems the holes are drilled because the look round in these pics. The wappens and starbursts can be different, depending on the maker imo. As you all know, I've 3 different of these haubes and they have also 3 different Saxon shields... look at pic 1
Tony, do you think the wappen isn't ok? Do you think the bandeau should be the "MIT GOTT FUR KÖNIG UND FATERLAND"? I think this eagle is the correct one with the "MIT GOTT FUR FUERST UND FATERLAND" bandeau... See Pic 2 and 3
Hope this can help you...

Adler

Adler said:
// Tony, do you think the wappen isn't ok? Do you think the bandeau should be the "MIT GOTT FUR KÖNIG UND FATERLAND"? I think this eagle is the correct one with the "MIT GOTT FUR FUERST UND FATERLAND" bandeau... //

I was joking Karel that on ebay, they are all rare state Wappen placed onto a Preußen line eagle Wappen to tray and increase value.

One difference that I have always noticed is that some of the “Saxon duchy Wappen” protrude out and others are more flat. I have a JR 94 that is quite flat and this JR 153 that is quite “gewoblt”.
IMG_0429.jpg

I was joking
Karel that on ebay, they are all rare state Wappen placed onto a Preußen line eagle Wappen to tray and increase value.
D'oh #-o ... I guess my English isn't good enough to get these little jokes Tony... Maybe we have to use more emoticons or so? :headbang:

Adler

joerookery said:
Not JR153 but holes.

ps1136b by joerookery, on Flickr

Being a metal worker, I wonder if the negative space around the leaves were cut out with a jeweler's saw? If so, then these were drilled for cutting, but never cut (wartime expedient?).
Just thoughts.

:D Ron

Ron,

I know nothing of metallurgy. However, I think this picture predates 1905. I think this guy is a Beamte and there is no little device on his helmet. I believe that happened in conjunction with a 1905 AKO.

Joe

I think this guy is a Beamte and there is no little device on his helmet. I believe that happened in conjunction with a 1905 AKO.

Do you have the rest of the shot showing his uniform?

Regards
Glenn

Back