Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha (Thüringen)

Spiker

O.Y.V helmet of the infantry regiments nr 95 and 153 (I and II Battalion)

Vulcan fiber body , Officers wappen , chinscales on knob ’91 , smooth pearl ring , simple liner.
Still in the original case.

Excellent, helme that is a magnificent wappen. I keep wondering who set up the rules for how many "officer parts" were allowed on these OYV helmets. To me the wappen is the most important and visible part of the helme so here it is officer. However, the kokarde is OR's, the spike is NCO style pearl ring and we have M91 posts. Lacarde states that that type of private purchase liner was used 1842 to 1880. Does this date the helme? The Garde Dragoner in the restoration section has this same liner and pearl ring and we know from the family that it was in service 1882. I have a Baden Dragoner private purchase with post 1882 silk liner, same spike, officer scales and bosses BUT the kokarden are M 91 style (5.4mm). Baden wappen is pierced crown. Lots of questions!

Thanks gents :)

Yes Brian, lots of questions that I cannot answer, the NCO and OYV rules will always be a mystery to me, sometimes I wonder if everybody stayed within those rules. :???:

I think this is one case where Lacarde is wrong. These could be purchased well after 1880. Based on pictures some OYV were all officer. Rules seem to have changed over regiment and time..

joerookery said:
I think this is one case where Lacarde is wrong. These could be purchased well after 1880. Based on pictures some OYV were all officer. Rules seem to have changed over regiment and time..

The man who restored all the helmets in the national museum in Brussels once told me that Larcade did indeed do some guesswork here and there. :wink:

Spiker said:
Thanks gents :)

Yes Brian, lots of questions that I cannot answer, the NCO and OYV rules will always be a mystery to me, sometimes I wonder if everybody stayed within those rules. :???:

I know I wouldn't have stayed within the rules. It would have been a case of get the best helmet (or three) I could, then go under the theory that it's easier to beg forgiveness than ask for permission.

:D Ron

Congratulations Ed, that is a beautiful helmet! :bravo:

I had noticed it back in September about the same time I bought my enlisted 94th reservist helmet, and thought this one was gone. Glad to see that you were able to acquire it! =D>

Best Regards,

Alan

Back