Sachsen Colback HR 20.....?

Gents,

Let me put this straight: I have no knowledge of colbacks whatsoever. I recently found one on a Dutch bidding site where not much military comes around. I made a deal with the owner who said he 'needed the money'. Paid approx. 400 dollars, so the price could give away the fact that it's a replica... I bought the "De Bello Collections" book that's recommended elsewhere on the forum (thanks for that, it's really a nice book with lots of pictures and information!).

I'm curious to hear your professional comments. If it's a replica (a started from that assumption, and still do..), then to my humble opinion it's a good one, and old.

It's made of real furr and dark blue leather. The top is made of leather both inside and outside.

- The Kokarde is cracked, the white paint is aged.
- The Feldzeichen is covered on the back with black leather.
- The Sachsen Wappen is held in place by two very old and cracked leather straps.
- The Wappen is oxidated.
- Only marking "BA IX 2010".
- The Flamme is correctly held in place on the top by three metal hooks.
- The Flamme looks and feels old (allthough the color should be more light blue).
- The brown leather chin strap looks and feels as being used, and the brass parts are oxidated.

Does anyone have a white Fangschnurr for sale?

I like it anyway!!

greetz

Marcel

304.jpg

300.jpg

301.jpg

302.jpg

299.jpg

300.jpg

298.jpg

297.jpg

296.jpg

295.jpg

294.jpg

293.jpg

292.jpg

291.jpg

290.jpg

Your busby is supposed to be a Saxon 20th Husar busby. However, in my opinion, it is a copy. The construction of the body is incorrect. The liner is not the proper style for a busby. Yours is marked to indicate the 9th army corps. The 20th Husar regiment was in the 12th army corps. A pre war (1910) busby should have convex chinscales, not a chin strap. The field badge appears to be a copy and the national kokarde is of the Prussian style. The kokarde should be a smooth edge Saxon type. On Saxon busbys the colpac (bag) is not retained by metal hooks. The colpac is tied in place with cloth ties that pass through holes in the top of the busby. The colpac also appears to be a copy.

Sorry to have to give you bad news.

following photos of an issue 20th Husar Busby may be helpful.

Reservist1

20husar.jpg

pc310356.jpg

pc310355.jpg

pc310358.jpg

Happy new year!

Thanks for the reply and superb pictures. I assumed mine is a replica, so there's no bad news in your explanations.

As for the chinstraps: there is a picture in the De Bello collections book of a Saxon Colback with similar ones.

Marcel

Back