Sachsen Leibgrenadierregiment nr. 100 with touching monument

Gents,

I'm pleased to share my latest one with you: a 'Eigentumshelm' with black "Paradebusch" of the Leibgrenadierregiment. Apart from some cracks in the leather the helmet is in excellent condition. This one hasn't seen any trenches for sure. The helmet came with a small monument. According to the vendor, they belong together.

The monument is made of plaster, and due to rough transportation came to me in 50 peaces... So the result you look at took me quite a while to realise. I've never seen a monument like this. A family could slide a picture of their fallen loved one(s) into the side to make it a individual monument. Quite touching if you ask me... This example has a picture of a Saxon Leibgrenadier. The size of the picture exactly matches the slide, so there is a pretty big chance that we look at the owner of the helmet!

It states "fallen at Gacki in Russia on 21 August 1915". I did some initial research, and the only Gacki I can find is the village of Gacki-Reisk near Bjelsk (Bielsk) in Poland. That makes sence, as that part of Poland was Russian in those days, and a lot of action to place over their in August. However, as for as I have figured out until now, the Leibgrenadierregiment (being part of the 23th. Infantry division) didn't serve on the Eastern Front in 1915, but at the Chemin des Dames (Aisne, France)? I appreciate your input on this!

Marcel

IMG_1183.jpg

IMG_1184.jpg

IMG_1185.jpg

IMG_1186.jpg

IMG_1187.jpg

IMG_1188.jpg

IMG_1189.jpg

IMG_1191.jpg

IMG_1193.jpg

IMG_1194.jpg

IMG_1195.jpg

You did a remarkeble job of repairing the monument! This is a lesson to us, if we have photos of family that will be passed downn write there name on the back of the photo, his family knew who he was, but we do not, so another bit of history is lost.
Best
gus

Thanks guys for your generous comments!

But the history of the IR 100 (stationed in France in August 15) related to the owner that died in Russia still keeps me puzzled...

Looking carefully at the picture, it's interesting how the hair hangs well past the chinscales and is practically in line with the bottom of the visor. Yet on the actual helmet the hair is in line with the chinscales. Does horsehair shrink? Do trichters grow?

Question: is it possible that the hair has shrunk in the course of time? Hair tends to curl, the hairs in the picture are more straight. The difference in lenght is about 1 cm.
#-o

For those interested in regimental history: i've managed to find an answer to the question regarding the Leibgrenadierregiment nr. 100 not serving on the Eastern Front whilst the monument states the owner of the helmet died over there in 1915.

As practicaly the whole regiment served in France, the "1. Ersatzbataillon" of the "Grenadierreserveregiment 100" actually served in Poland (then Russia) during the war. First it occupied the Posen (Poznan) Fortress, from March 1915 onwards it saw active service as part of the 19. Ersatz Division, and fought in the summer of 1915 in Poland.

(Source: "Sachsen in Grosser Zeit", Minerva Verlag 1923 Leipzig, page 182)

Tony without Kaiser said:
OMG Marcel. What a helmet. I have never even seen a set of nickel-silver M91 chinscales with my own eyes. Wow. Good for you! =D>

So a Bavarian Ulan Tschapka scales set in nickel silver is like the proverbial hen's teeth?

pointystuff said:
So a Bavarian Ulan Tschapka scales set in nickel silver is like the proverbial hen's teeth?

Sounds like you have a Bayern Ulanen Tschapka for Kgl. Bayer. 2. Ulanen-Regiment König missing the M91 chinscales. Good luck Brad.

Great research vonKluck. Don't you just love it when the pieces fall into place like that? From my own grandfather's service history it is easy to see how in wartime units/sub-units and individuals can get posted to all sorts of locations which at first look belie belief.

Good job!

Back