Sachsen M95.

coert65

Next to the Sachsen M15 I posted earlier, I also bought this M95.
It has a piece of paper in the liner dated 1902. I carefully took it out for the pictures, but is is back now where it probably was put there by the soldier who wore the helmet. I like these things, it shows history.
host pics online

mass image upload

upload photo for link

I bought these 2 helmets from a forum member, and I like them a lot! :)

Greetings, Coert. :)

Might be done to let it fit better on his head by using a piece of paper behind the liner

Another great find Coert, congratulations! :thumb up:

I love the markings in both these helmets you found! =D>

Best Wishes,

Alan

An excellent addition to your collection. I have encountered the use of folded period newspapers to achieve a better “helmet fit” on a couple of hauben.

Thanks for the nice replies friends! :thumb up:

I really appreciate it, and the helmet display's very well next to my other helmets, I really like it!
I also saw other helmets with newspaper used, to make the helmet fit better, but this is the first one I have.
The chinstrap is indeed unusual, made of double sided leather, instead of the usual single piece.
It is original though.

Have a nice day!

Greetings, Coert. :)

That is a very unusual chin strap Coert I would appreciate you posting photos of it in our leather chin strap thread in the Pickelhaube Discussion Area. :)

Thanks again for the nice replies gentlemen!

Today I remembered I also have a soldiers handbook with links to this same regiment, IR105.
I have had that for several years, along with other antique books from that era.

Greetings, Coert.

A very nice Saxon helmet. Nice that it still has the Saxon style kokarden.

Finding a contemporary newspaper clipping is an added bonus.

b.loree said:
An excellent addition to your collection. I have encountered the use of folded period newspapers to achieve a better “helmet fit” on a couple of hauben.

On the topic of finding newspaper being used as "bumper" material to make for a better fitting helmet.

I have a Bavarian General's helmet that had a telegram folded up and used to make for a better fit. The bonus was the telegram was addressed to him by name and address in Munich.

Back