Sachsen Officer

richesz28

A couple of years ago I acquired this helmet shell. It had a complete liner, front visor trim, and rear spine. Fortunately all of the stitching was tight too. As you can see from the photo below, the condition was less than ideal. I thought I'd take my time searching for parts while working on the shell filling the extra holes, etc. Well, it took quite some time to find everything and I put it on the back burner. I nearly forgot about it completely. Then in November/December of last year I found the Officer Wappen at AOK and then located the tall Sachsen spike on eBay. Things started going pretty fast afterward and I just completed the restoration.

Some completed pictures.

Wonderful! :bravo:

I have been looking for a Reichs Kokarde like the one you used for years. If you ever find another one please let me know.

John

SkipperJohn said:

I have been looking for a Reichs Kokarde like the one you used for years. If you ever find another one please let me know.

John

John- just sent you a PM

James

J.LeBrasseur said:
SkipperJohn said:

John

John- just sent you a PM

James

Thanks James. I responded.

John

Thanks everyone. I wasn't going to post this helmet because it started out as such a poor quality piece (not the usual fare for this site). However, it ended up looking really good and I thought I'd share it with everyone. I used a lot of the restoration ideas that are on this forum. So keep posting them!

Richard

In response to a couple of questions: I don't have any step-by-step photos of this resto. I honestly never imagined it would turn out this well so photos weren't on my mind. I am working on another helmet and will try to document things a little better. Though, on this helmet, the major part of the work was cleaning. It was absolutely filthy. Filling the extra holes (I still don't know what the purpose of them was, perhaps a larger wappen) was the other time consuming task. I'm still learning about the best way to do it.

Otherwise it really was searching for parts. I purchased the chin scales and rosettes early on and then had to wait until the wappen and spike were located. I was going to use a "normal" sized spike but got lucky and found an extra-tall version. As you can see I polished everything. I know a lot of people prefer to leave everything alone. However, since most of the parts for this helmet came from different sources, everything had a different patina. For example the rosettes were almost black, the spike base was polished (with a lot of residue remaining) and the spike top was very dark brown. The chin scales also had leftover polish between them. Now everything can "age" together.

As far as the chin scales question: They are flat. My photography skills aren't the greatest and I think the angle of some of the photos gives the impression of a slight curvature. Thanks for everyone's interest. I appreciate it.

Regards to all,

Richard

Back