Sachsen Schützen!

Tony without Kaiser

Departed
Staff member
Recall, I asked on 14 Oct what else could I possibly display with these two pieces?

dbh49s.jpg

How about this? You can see all the photos at this link>>

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/dunkelblau/helmets/dbh49.htm

Now the hunt begins for a matching Waffenrock!

dbh49.jpg

All right, Gus, if it'll make you happy. My modest collection of items from the 108th:

DSC00736.jpg

Tony, if you ever grow tired of that Tschako, you might be able to talk me into taking it off your hands!

Cheers,
K-B

Thanks K-B,
I like to see a bit of balance between the Feldgrau and Dunkelblau
Gus

K-B,

Never seen anything like those private purchase shoulder straps. Totally non-regulation, but a logical aberation if you think about it.

Is the cap marked in any way? It's a wonderful thing.

Chip

Congratulations Tony a wonderful piece. I am sure that you will find the tunic. Brian

Well, this should be Tony's thread, but hopefully he won't mind.

Chip, the cap is sparsely marked - just BA XII 07 and the size. If there were any other markings, they have long since faded. The 108th was the only Schützen Regiment in XII Corps to my knowledge. 1907 was the year field gray and gray-green were introduced, if I'm not mistaken, which would make this one of the first caps in the new color. I don't know any details on the shoulder straps, I assumed they were transitional, i.e. the old rectangular form and the new Jäger green. I'm still learning, and the Jäger units are a subject unto themselves.

Cheers,
K-B

K-B,

Thanks for the details on the cap. It's a wonderful thing. :shock: Your straps are purely the invention of a tailor, as this version was never authorized. A few hints that they are private purchase are, issue straps would normally be finished along the bottom edge and the button holes machine sewn. The generally thicker and somewhat uneven thickness of the piping is also not normal for issue pieces. If you look inside the open end, you might see some additional stiffening material as well.

Chip

Chip,
Thanks for the compliment on the cap - it is one of my favorites. As to the shoulder straps, I also have a pair of issue straps from Jäger Bataillon 13 and the differences between them and my 108 straps are exactly as you describe.
Can you recommend any good references on the Jäger units? I have been unable to find much on them, especially on the Reserve Jäger Bn's that formed at the outbreak of the war.

Thanks for posting your 108 straps. Beautiful!

Cheers,
K-B

K-B,

What kind of information on the Jägers are you looking for? Are you wanting order of battle or formation history?

Chip

Chip Minx said:
Your straps are purely the invention of a tailor, as this version was never authorized.
Chip, the first thing I saw was the squared tops, like the Dunkelblau versions, but as far as I am aware, this characteristic never appeared on the Feldgrau. :?:

Gustaf said:
Thanks K-B,
I like to see a bit of balance between the Feldgrau and Dunkelblau

Sounds good.......

fgh41.jpg

Chip,
I'm mainly looking for formation histories and detailed uniform studies.

Dave, that's an excellent collection of of items from the 108th. The Tschako is to die for.

Thanks to all for your comments. The question in my mind now, of course, is whether my shoulder straps are authentic. It seems that if someone went to the trouble of making repro straps thay would have made them with the standard pointed tops. They are also quite wide: my other Jaeger straps measure approx 4.5 cm while these measure nearly 7 cm. Any thoughts?

Skøl!
K-B

Back