Sachsen tschakos.....

hefger

Hello,

got this 2 headgear in a recent trade!

Saxony, yes, but what else?

I find nothing about this tschakos, can someone help me?

I thought used between 1870 and 1880, used by jager units in 1870/1871 war?

The feldzeichen on the EM one is a very poor fake; and I dont think their was feldzeichen on this headgears, more something like a "ball"

Regards

hefger

p1070219.jpg

p1070220.jpg

hello,
i saw them at mulhouse....for me there are 1852 shakos....these shako were abandoned in 1867 when the saxon armie adopted the pickelhaube....
no more informations...
pp

Hi Hefger

In Kube's book Militaria a similar tschako is shown on page 55, figure 107. There is a large crown above the wappen and it does have a pompon, or ball as you suggested displaying the company number. Kube states that this example was adopted in 1846, was worn during the reign of King Johann 1854-1873 (his cypher is on the wappen) as with yours. I have no further idea/knowledge about these, they look pretty cool though..

I don't think the tschako in Kube's Militaria is this one, it is higher. On the contrary, Kube offers one of these in the auction of Sep 24th 2011, Sammlung P. Krause, art. 163: "Infanterie-Mannschaftstschako Modell 1854. Parade. Lackleder und Filz. Vorne neusilberne Stern, Zentrum grün ausgelegt mit Monogramm "JR". Lacklederriemen an geprägten schwarzen Knöpfen. Das offiziersmässige Feldzeichen wohl ergänzt evtl. auch der schwarze Büffelhaarbusch mit neusilbernem Stecker...".
Art. 163 is described as an officer's tschako, same model, and that one has a Feldzeichen with a number on it. So I presume these tschakos had Feldzeichen with a number on it, for the Batallion. Just for the information: the monogram refers to König Johann, king from 1854 till 1873).

Johan

Hello

I had difficulty in finding information because this schako is not fluently...

At first your plate is not the plate which suits: it has to be a number plate. Indeed the military plate of the schako modele on 1846 (worn until 1873) has a crown above. Crown goes away here because this plate must be later(posterior) in 1873 (the crown was that of King Johann, it is worn from 1854 till 1873). Your plate must thus be later(posterior) in 1873 and as it equipe not any more the Saxon army (which has the plate that everybody knows except horns) she has to equiper a service(department) as the police i think. Concerning was it, it could be the modele on 1846 although it seems lower. As for the chin strap, the pin is flat on the modele on 1846 with a hollow in its center.

See page 63 of Jan's book K. Kube " militaria. In study of german Helmets and uniforms on 1729-1918 ", edité at Schiffer Militaria History in 1990

:D IR76 de Hambourg

Back