Salesman Sample Card of Buttons & Collar Rank Insignia

ww1czechlegion

I stumbled onto this from an old dealer friend of mine a couple of weeks ago. I'd failed to spot it a weekend earlier at another show in the countless dozens of riker cases he had piled on his tables, and feel lucky that nobody else snapped it up before I finally saw it. He'd aquired it many years ago in a large grouping of goodies from a WW1 US veteran. Every button is ID'd in legible hand-written German script writing below each button. (sorry my photo doesn't show this hardly at all.) The shanks are all intact, pushed thru the card, and a greenish-gray single thread connects all of them and keeps them intact on the card.

Is this a salesman sample card? I can't believe some of the rarer ? Sgt. rank buttons on the card, such as the Mecklenburg-Schwerin (labeled as Schwerin), Meningen, Weimar, and the less commonly seen examples from Baden, and Wurttemburg, and the two different Bavarian examps. It's neat to see the motor club button, the forestry button, and all the others. 4-Examples on the card are in zinc, the others are all high quality.

My "button" collection was greatly enlarged in "one-stop-shopping"!

Alan

Hi ww1 czechlegion:

I just started recently to become interested in these Sergeant rank buttons.

I tried magnifying the picture and tried reading the black ink descriptions, but I could only make out the names of a couple.

Could you please write down the names of the German states for each row, so I could get a better understanding of the buttons and their state of origin?

Thanks

Gamburd

Back