SALTY ALEXANDER (OR AUGUSTA ??)

argonne

Gents, for your consideration today, one of my five latest Hauben I bought during this last "spiky" summer. It took its place in my collection, two and half months ago.
Absolutely untouched and extremely salty pre-war EM Dienst-Helm (unscrewable spike) of the first Guard Grenadier Regiment "Kaiser Alexander". (or maybe 4th GGR Königin Augusta? Does someone knows the difference of markings???).This piece of history has been worn for a very long time.(3 different names of owners handwritten in it, one Unteroffizier). It has obviously been reconditioned sometime during the war and has got a brown wartime liner sewn on by the repairing office of the KBAG. It shows one of the nicest patina I have ever seen on a wartime helmet.

Enjoy, viel Spaß et au plaisir!
Philippe :salute:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Looks like a nice M1895 haube indeed Philippe; toutes mes félicitations! I would leave it as is as it looks great and the 'salt' in it is now part of its DNA having been worn by so many soldiers... Besides, they might come back and haunt you if you messed with it :p
One question though: How come the wappen is held on by screws instead of leather wedges? Is it because it once belonged to an Unteroffizier?

Bruno, James, I unfortunately already started cleaning it, beginning with those ugly ink stains at the inside of the rear visor! Very hard job, but now it looks like "fresh from the manufacture"!! I like it better!!! 8-[ ](*,) :tard: :banghead: :dontknow: :violent1:

NONO, JUST A JOKE!! :clown:

Ron, I think this helmet originally was a M91 pattern helmet (wappen hold with screws) which has been later upgraded to a M95 ( rear spine with ventilation). As you can see, during the war, to complete the mixing, this helmet got a M16 brown liner too.
It has nothing to do with the "Unteroffizier" rank of one of the wearer, I think. However he was a low ranking Unteroffizier without Portepee: Unteroffizier or Sergeant.

argonne said:
// It has nothing to do with the "Unteroffizier" rank of one of the wearer, I think. However he was a low ranking Unteroffizier without Portepee: Unteroffizier or Sergeant//
I collect photos of Unteroffizier mit Portepee, preferably Feldwebel, almost all are wearing issued Pickelhauben with leather chinstrap. Only the addition of the Unteroffizier mit Portepee Kokarde has been added.

Beautiful helmet Philippe. Love that dark brown colour. HERE is my favourite Pickelhaube with that brown patina.

Yes Tony, nice patina too on a very cool sächsischen Feld-Artillerie Kugelhelm!!! I also love this honey brown! It´s also the colour of the indian summer we have now in North Germany!!

Issued Pickelhauben and headgear with simple EM Kokarden were worn by following ranks:

Mannschaften:
-Füsilier, Grenadier, Dragoner, Kürassier, Kanonier, etc
-Gefreiter
-Obergefreiter (only Fuß-Artillerie)

Unteroffiziere without Portepee:
- Unteroffizier
- Sergeant
- Avantageur/Fahnenjunker, before they became Portepee-Fähnrich, after Fähnrich-examination and at least six months of duty.

Before the Fahnenjunker became a Fähnrich, he had to wear Mannschafts-uniform. After the Fähnrich examination, he was allowed to wear Unteroffiziersuniform, bayonet with Portepee and Offiziers Kokarden(!)
First after the Offizier-examination he was allowed to wear the Offiziers sword and gun. His rank was then called "Degen-Fähnrich" and he was then an Unteroffizier with Portepee. (and still with offiziers Kokarden!).

Hello Philippe,
I have recently purchased a Saxon M1910 Infantry Schirmmütze with Offiziers Kokarden.
It is however made from an average quality Feldgrau wool with a fine wool red band and piping, which means it is not an Officer Cap despite the very tall stiff shape. Interior has an Ersatz Alkor (replacement leather) sweatband with a white artificial silk lining.
I guess this would make it an Unteroffiziere mit Portepee Schirmmütze... Any chance it could be something else too?

Tony without Kaiser said:
argonne said:
// Issued Pickelhauben and headgear with simple EM Kokarden were worn by following ranks:...

Ja, genau :grommit:

LOL, ja, aber habe ich alles kopiert... :p Einfach und zum punct, so... (is that a German term? To the point? I probably just told somebody to simply stab themselves... Oh well, that's why my German friends are always laughing at me. So... Ja, ich bin gut... \:D/ Yes. I know what that implies...)

:D Ron

poniatowski said:
LOL, ja, aber habe ich alles kopiert... Einfach und zum punct, so...

Ron, eine kleine deutsche Stunde gefälligst? :book: :wink: I think you are meaning: "bis auf den Punkt"? This is then the right translation for "to the point". 8-[
But...nein, nein, nicht "bis auf den Punkt kopiert", sondern " umstrukturiert, auf das Wesentliche zusammengefaßt für eine bessere allgemeine Verständlichkeit auf diesem Forum und übersetzt" :D

:sign9: (Wiki original) :sign9:

Mannschaften
Füsilier, Grenadier, Jäger, Musketier, Dragoner, Husar, Kürassier, Ulan, Kanonier usw., Soldaten der Gardetruppenteile hatten den Dienstgrad Garde-Füsilier, Garde-Grenadier usw.
Gefreiter: Wappen-Knopf (wie Sergeanten, jedoch in kleinerem Durchmesser) auf beiden Kragenseiten (seit 1853)
Obergefreiter (nur bei der Fußartillerie): Sergeantenknopf, Unteroffizierstroddel bzw. -faustriemen am Seitengewehr (Bajonett bzw. Reitersäbel)
Zusätzlich:

Einjährig-Freiwilliger: gedrehte Wollschnur in den Landesfarben entlang des Rands der Schulterklappen
Kapitulant: schmale Wollborte in den Landesfarben quer über den unteren Rand der Schulterklappen; Bajonett-Troddel bzw. Säbel-Faustriemen in Landesfarben (ähnlich dem Unteroffiziersabzeichen)
Anmerkung: Einjährig-Freiwilliger und Kapitulant waren keine Dienstgrade, sondern freiwillig dienende Militärpflichtige. Die besonderen Abzeichen wurden im Falle eventueller Beförderungen nicht abgelegt.

Unteroffiziere
Unteroffiziere ohne Portepee
Unteroffizier bzw. Oberjäger (Jägertruppe): Tresse (Silber- oder Goldmetall) um Kragenrand und Ärmelaufschläge, Bajonett-Troddel bzw. Reitersäbel-Faustriemen in Landesfarben (z.B. Preußen schwarz-weiß, Bayern weiß-blau), Schirmmütze (seit 1875)

Sergeant: wie Unteroffizier, Sergeantenknopf (mit aufgeprägten Landeswappen: preußischer Adler, bayerischer Löwe etc.)
Fähnrich, (seit 1. Januar 1899, vorher: Portepee-Fähnrich): wie Unteroffizier, Portepee am Seitengewehr, Offizierskokarde an der Kopfbedeckung
Anmerkung: Der (Portepee-)Fähnrich war Anwärter zum Berufsoffizier (Avantageur, seit 1. Januar 1899: Fahnenjunker). Vor der Beförderung zum (Portepee-)Fähnrich trug der Avantageur/Fahnenjunker die Mannschaftsuniform. Nach bestandener Fähnrichsprüfung und mindestens sechs Dienstmonaten erfolgte die Beförderung des Avantageurs/Fahnenjunkers zum (Portepee-)Fähnrich. Nun legte er die Unteroffiziersuniform an, mit den oben genannten zusätzlichen Abzeichen. Nach dem Bestehen der Offiziersprüfung erlangte der (Portepee-)Fähnrich die Berechtigung zum Tragen des Offizierseitenwaffe (Degen, Säbel, Pistole); gleichzeitig rückte er zu den Unteroffizieren mit Portepee auf (umgspr. „Degen-Fähnrich“).

Alles klar? Nichts für ungut! :D :D :D

Philippe :salute: (from the country of Karl-Theodor zu Guttenberg :laughing8: :laughing8: :laughing8:)

A really neat, untouched helmet, Philippe! That's very exciting to see pics of this time capsule! Congratulations! =D> :thumb up:

All the Best,

Alan

Hello
About the marking KAR
only for Kaiser Alexander Regiment
the Augusta Regiment have 4GGR or 4GGRKA marking
Regards

Back