Salty Hessen 115

Larmo

Greetings All

I count myself lucky to have recently purchased this old soldier, pretty much out of the woods. He shows his age, but overall he is very sound with the front and rear visors still tightly sewn. As you can all see he is missing a few bits here and there, so if a kind soul amongst the group might have a few spares to sell I'd be very grateful.

Joe I hope the interior marking images are of use to you, please feel free..

Larry

hes1.jpg
hes3.jpg

hes5.jpg

hes8.jpg
hes10.jpg

hes9.jpg

hes7.jpg
hes6.jpg

hes11.jpg

Nice! Thanks Larry–the RBA 18 is a much nicer–clearer one than we have. this one is going to give you a lot of pleasure!

Thanks Joe, he already has, looking forward to giving him a light bath, just to get the grunge off.

Glad the images were of use, know of any whereabouts for a couple of silver domed screw rivets hint, hint???

Larry

Larry- congrats on the special find!

Good luck on the silver domed screw posts, I have been searching for 2 for almost 10 years :-({|=

James

Rats...hey wait, that's another thread...

Thanks James, I'll be lookin too, if I find some I'll keep you on the short list

Larry

Hello,

No doubt about this "pure" and original LJR 115 Pickelhaube.

If it was mine, I should not restore it. Or, before a very, very light cleaning, I should take as much photo that possible !

Very cool helmet, congratulations. I love the Hessen helmets in general and of course JR115 in particular. One of the most beautiful of all hauben. B

Thanks Guys for the kind words, I do really like this helmet and was very pleased (and lucky) to get it. Now a 109 Baden and a 119 Wurttemberg and I have scratched off a number on the collecting list.

JR92 you are very correct, only a light cleaning as the dirt and dust is an abrasive and will only further damage the helmet. No polish or buffing wheel for this one. I would like to find the rivets though as the pickel sticks up at such an odd angle. And the chinstrap needs repairing, no doubt there. If I do not get it bound up it will only result in further damage. As far as the kokarden go, no repros. If I can't find an original set, well...that's ok too. It's lived a long, long time without them.

Cheers Guys and good hunting to all of us.

Larry

Larmo said:
JR92 you are very correct, only a light cleaning as the dirt and dust is an abrasive and will only further damage the helmet. No polish or buffing wheel for this one.

Larry, when you vacuum it to remove the dust, make sure the Wappen is back on. Nothing better in my mind than the "ghost:" behind the Wappen. protected behind the Wappen, it will not damage the lacquer any more.

dbh78e.jpg

Any my IR115: Congrats on finding a vey desirable helmet. :thumbright:

Hi Larry,
I found the same helmet in the same dirty condition in 2003. I cleaned it minimally and, as Tony suggests, I was careful to leave the "dust ghost" intact behind the plate.
What is curious is that mine has EXACTLY the same maker mark inside the shell: it seems that the leather surface was scratched clean before applying the stamp of the maker in Mainz.
Bruno

Larry, Congratulations on this great find! You can now join the club of Hessen Leibgarde Regt 115 restorers. Yours is in a nicer shape than mine (see "Hessen Leibgarde Infanterie Regt. 115 - Help!). I've been having good luck with finding original parts and hope to post a photo of the completed project soon. I'll let you know if I come across any of the parts you need.
Best Regards,
Mark D.

Thanks Mark, I've managed one silver rivet so far courtesy of Cameron, but need one more. Then a Hessian kocarde, wouldn't want to sell yours would you......no, I didn't think so :evil4: Larry

Nice helmet ! you're lucky and I'm happy for you :D I also have 2 JR115 with the same marks RBA 18, one very faded, the other one quite clear, I'll check tonight (I'm at work) if the maker stamp is the same as yours,
concerning the missing screw, I'll check as well but almost sure not to have any spare one.... again, congratulations, that's a nice helmet, unmessed with, in its dust :D as we like them :)
cheers
steve
http://www.imperialhelmets.com/infantry-helmets/?nggpage=5
http://www.imperialhelmets.com/infantry-helmets/?nggpage=6

I split this topic off into a new thread where everyone can post their Hessen helmets and discuss them as requested.

http://www.pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5256

Back