Santa, please bring me a Raupe for Xmas..

Gents,

I recently found this one. A Bavarian officer's Raupenhelm in near to mint condition. In fact it is one of the best preserved helmets that came on my way so far. The name of the owner is written on the inside: "F. Stoer". The maker is "J.M. Pauschinger Militair Effecten Nürnberg". As you well can see it has only one slight detail missing... it's Raupe of black bearskin.

Now I have two options: wait untill the Raupe comes along (any one by chance has one for sale?), or make a reproduction that is worthy to the helmet. I did some initial research, and the caterpillar plume was made of rattan cane meshwork covered in black canvas. Once that's reproduced the Raupe can be finished with the black bearskin, which shouldn't be to difficult to find. What I am looking for are some scetches or photo's, or the original Bavarian instructions. Any references to books? I would appreciate your help on this, thanks in advance.

Happy holidays!

Marcel

IMG_1979_zps0f39d922.jpg

IMG_1981_zps349e4715.jpg

IMG_1986_zps32462aa0.jpg

IMG_1984_zps6798486e.jpg

IMG_1983_zps1b04443f.jpg

IMG_1982_zps39debac6.jpg

IMG_1980_zpsa1045463.jpg

Very nice helmet. I believe the chinstrap is an other ranks style. Note the detail on the chinstrap end fitting of this officer raupenhelm.

bavraup.jpg

raup1.jpg

Reservist1

Thanks for your comments and suggestions gentlemen!

Francis, I will contact the museum in Ingolstadt.
Robert, thanks for that ebay lead!

I will keep you all posted!

regards

Marcel

That certainly is a nice helmet and I agree that its condition is awesome =D>

Best regards,

Edwin

Very nice indeed! If that were my helmet, I'd go ahead with a making a repro Raupe for it, then wait for an original (if one ever shows up). As mentioned already, it would be a fun project and make the helmet display nicely too.

:D Ron

Gents,

First of all happy new year, best wishes!!

I will go for the reproduction, I'll keep you informed!

However, should someone know where to find one, please let me know!

Best regards

Marcel

Almost a year has passed since I posted this helmet without Raupe. At first I was optimistic in finding a Bärenfell Raupe that would suit the helmet, but after a couple of months I came to the conclusion that this would take maybe years to find it. Even if I would find one, then the Raupe would be in a state far worst then the helmet itself. Its bearskin after all, more then 140 years of age... As the helmet is in such a excellent condition, I didn't want to wait that long, and decided to make one myself, but it had to be a replica that came as close to the original as possible. I didn't find this 'unethical', as a lot of officers Raupenhelme (also the good ones that are sold at renown auctions) are presented with a refitted Raupe. The originals, especially after seeing many years of service, normally just don't last that long in good shape.

At first I contacted the Bayerische Armee Museum (thanks for that suggestion Francis) who were so kind to provid me with some pictures:

This is an older example, attached with straps. I was lucky mine still had the attachment base with its screw. The base of the Raupe is made of twined twigs, modelled as a bent horn. This horn is covered with a canvas cloth, on which the bearskin is fitted. The canvas and the bearskin (unshaved wool for Mannschaften) are fitted with ropes and leather straps, as is the attachment base.

Just for the sake of the Raupe (or so I thought initially...) I bought this example of a Mannschaften helmet:

This is the Raupe after dismantling:

So now I had the base, but no bearskin. I was lucky to find a skin of a small Schwarzwalder Bär in Germany, not quite black however:

The skin was all dried out, so it took a while to get it as soft as it should be in order to ply it around the Raupe. I used a mixture of saddle soap and some other leather treatments to achieve this. Then, with some useful instuctions from my local hairdresser, I gave it several treatments to blacken the hear. This is the fitted bearskin, after a first colour treatment. I sewed the skin with leather straps. Ofcourse this took me several frustrating attempts before I got it right..

The Raupe has the right measures, being 12,1 cm high, allthough it is just a bit too long at the back. In order to get to know details for models and ranks, the hard to get book of Seibold, W. & Schulz, M. (1999) "Die Helme der Königlich Bayerischen Armee 1806 - 1918". Bayerischer Militar Verlag - Gerd M. Schulz, Gröbenzel is essential reading.

So this is the result:

It's a M 1868 Unteroffizier der Infanterie helmet. The only difference between this on and an Offizier are the metal attachment parts of the chin straps: those on the Offizier are elaborated.

What do you think of it? I know, it's a reproduction, but made of the original materials, so it comes as close as it can get to an original. The Raupe now matches the condition of the helmet itself.

Finally, I decided to restore the other one I showed you after all, as the skin is in a state worthy to restore, and almost all parts are there. I will post it as soon as it is ready!

Best regards

Marcel

Super!
Thanks for showing the inside!
I would never guess when finding one. It made me think of a African ritual object.
cheers
|<ris

Thanks gentlemen for your comment and compliments, I will soon post the other Raupe, it's 'then and now' comparison pictures are quite impressive!

Best regards

Marcel

Back