Sawtooth 1884/98 Bayonet

The major differences between the S84/98aA & S84/98nA and the S1914 are:

A.) S1914 had a blades that were around 12", vs. S84/98 blades were
slightly less than 10".

B.) S1914 - ordered to fill a requirement for 1 million extra bayonets.
they were manufactured between late 1914 and 1915. They were all
made to fit the Gew 98 & K98a (actually a similiarity w/ S84/98 ).

C.) S84/98nA were ordered in 1915 to provide a short bayonet to
mounted troops, field artillery troops, and technical troops. (84/98aA
were 71/84 bayonets that were converted to fit the Gew 98 &
K98 1908-1909). They were manufactured for the Imperial Armee
until 1918. The were ordered to be issued to all armee units by 1917.

D.) S1914 sawbacks issued by Samsonwerk had 51 teeth. S84/98nA had
38 teeth.

E.) S1914 were not date stamped on the blade backstrap.

I only have 1 sawback in my collection, a S98/05aA. The only S1914 I have was made by Bayard, of Leige Belgium. I would love to own a 84/98mSor a S1914mS ( with saw) some day.

Geo

I just purchased a digital camera yesterday. I will try to master the technology in the next day or two and post a photo. Thanks. James.

Brian,

Maybe I am helping Gus here, but I am not so sure that the 14. company Troddel would be the correct one for the corps level Ersatz MG companies. I would love to get the correct information, but I can't imagine that the various companies would all wear the same 14.Komp. knot.

Chip

I like the way Chip thinks, do not worry, Brian, I will take the Troddel off your hands.
Gus

[/img]http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w286/jamesawest/IMG_0133.jpg

Here's a picture of my sawback. I'll post a close-up next.

Hey James,
To post photos, you need to first have them hosted, this can be done with photo bucket or image shack, http://imageshack.us/ I use image shack, so I will run you through on it. open another application of you web browser to the above address, in the upper right hand portion of the screen there will be a grey button that has Browse... in it, click that button and it will open a window to your computer, go to the file where the photo is that you wish to post and double click on the photo, this will close the window anf enter the address of the photo in the field to the left of the Browse... button. down a few lines is a button that says "host it!" and the image will be uploaded to the image shack web site (if it is a large photo it may take a bit of time, and if you have slow service like I do, you may need to down size the photo before you upload it) The next screen you will get will have a number of lines with addresses to the photo, I usually use the last line, labled "direct link to photo", copy that address by highlighting it and Ctrl C, then when you are posting on the Pickelhaubes forum you can past it. be sure to hit enter after your text, then click on the "Img" button once, then paste the address to your photo, then clicl on the "/Img" button (it is the same one, but this means that it is the end of the image). After all this, submit your post and you should have a photo on the site. By the way, copy the address to a file and lable it in case you wish to use it again, you can use the image shack site with out registering, but you will not have an index to your images, but their index is not as good as your own if you save the address with a lable.
Best wishes
Gus

This is a tough nut to crack. I've talked to Jeff Noll about this several times. The 14th Co Troddel (Blue-Red-Blue) is for Festungs (Fortress) MG units, and as such, should be used on those bayonets bearing that type of marking. According to Jeff Noll, the 13th Co (Blue-White-Blue) Troddel would be appropriate on any R.M.G. (MG company of an Infantry Regiment) or M.G.K. or E.M.G.K. (seperate MG or Ersatz MG company). I agree that this doesn't make sense, and it would be much more affordable to just hang a 1st (all white) troddel on this bayonet and call it quits.
Gew98, I would have given anything to have had that Sharpshooter MG marked bayonet. Jeff has three KS98s all with RMG unit marks and none of which he is willing to part with. Damn! However, I come across spare 84/98 II pattern scabbards all the time, and correct 71/84 scabbards less often but still often enough. I will gladly let you know when I see the next one. I am assuming that you prefer a 71/84 scabbard?

Interestingly, the MG marked 71/84s were not used as bayonets per se, but as sidearms, as I am sure one would imagine. MG units being considered prestige units at the time, and the first earliest existing in 1899, they were all issued G98s if issued a rifle at all, and certainly wouldn't have carried the anything less than the G98. This is also why all MG marked 71/84s that you come across SHOULD be well-sharpened.

seitengewehr98

I too collect Imperial German bayonets, and I was wondering if you know of any Imperial German Bayonet Specific forums? Most I have come across, and 2 that I used to frequent were for all bayonets. That's fine, just not my area of interest. The last one I participated in, all's everyone wanted to discuss were Chassepot bendy blades, and not even German used. That's OK too, but like I said, not my area of interest. The last time I participated, I asked a question about ersatz bayonets and was blasted, so that was the end of my participation there. That is what I truely like about this forum, no matter what question you may come up with, there are ALWAYS plenty of members here ready to help out and give freely of their experience & knowledge.

Back