Saxe Artillery Officer Restoration

well done! how do you get the needle to penetrate dried/hard epoxy? also, what kind of black thread do you use, anything special or just ordinary sewing thread? the devil is in the details... thank you

Yes indeed, the devil is always in the details and one has to be a perfectionist to seek out the details. Thread is easy...in what era did man made, oil based thread come into use? Find out when synthetics like nylon were introduced and go back from there. All natural thread must be used because anything else will "light up" under blue light.

luftwaffenkopf said:
well done! how do you get the needle to penetrate dried/hard epoxy? also, what kind of black thread do you use, anything special or just ordinary sewing thread? the devil is in the details... thank you

I'd guess that the epoxy is used above and below the area where the linen is stitched.
Plain cotton thread can still be found in some sewing supply stores.

It takes 3-4 hours to stitch an officer visor. and approx 1.5m or 45" of thread. That time does not include cleaning out the stitch holes which has to be done both on the shell and visor. A pin vise is used with a fine drill bit to clean out the old thread. The OR's helmets are easier, because there are not as many stitches to be replaced. In the case of this helmet, the epoxy went over the stitch holes as the shell had split along the stitch line. I had to use my hand drill to reopen the original stitch holes so I could restitch. When I encounter something "different" or what might be called a new problem like this, I have to step back for a few days and just mull it over in my mind and try to come up with a solution. This helmet presented a problem which I had never faced before. Thanks to all for the compliments....this one did turn out well.

Your a genius, that looks amazing. One thing Brian - have you ever tried using 'hide glue' or "Rabbit-Skin Glue"? It's non-invasive, can be removed and sticks very well - Gibson guitar necks are glued in with this stuff. I've used it sometimes on patches and it works brilliantly and as I say, is reversible if necessary.

I do know of it and probably that is what was used on our chin scale backing but no, I have never used it. Thanks for the compliment, never been called that before....mostly "selfish bastard" :D by ex wives, so they don't really count. Yes, that makes sense with Gibson, as so often their peg heads snap, all because of that wicked angle on the headstock. Always been a Fender man myself although I did own a Les Paul Gold Top but sold it.....too heavy.

I had a Tele as well back in the late 70's but I experienced the usual ground noise "hum" that those single coil pickups are famous for. This is a big problem when playing the bars as often their hydro sucks......they have neon lights, fridge compressors, tube lighting and God only knows what else! I guess we should switch this discussion to the Social section Mike. Talk there! B

Back