Saxe Weimar FAdj Helmet J Turinetti

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
Another rare FAdj helmet from Jim's collection, Saxe Weimar...incredibly rare! I will leave it up to Jim to post comments on this piece.
Compressed%20Saxe-Weimar%20Officer%20%20DSCN10520404-XL.jpg

I have to comment....the height of this spike and fine construction!! Unbelievable.
Compressed%20Saxe-Weimar%20Officer%20%20DSCN10530505-XL.jpg
How tall is that spike??
Compressed%20Saxe-Weimar%20Officer%20%20DSCN10540606-XL.jpg

Compressed%20Saxe-Weimar%20Officer%20%20DSCN10550707-XL.jpg

Compressed%20Saxe-Weimar%20Officer%20%20DSCN10560808-XL.jpg

Compressed%20Saxe-Weimar%20Officer%20%20DSCN10581010-XL.jpg

Compressed%20Saxe-Weimar%20Officer%20%20DSCN10591111-XL.jpg

Thinking back, I don't think I have ever seen a spike that tall before, :-? . Whoever owned it originally must have been a little guy. Anyone with any height would have to duck their head going through a doorway! Although I guess palaces did have huge doorways. Awes....a premier maker in my experience!

b.loree said:
Thinking back, I don't think I have ever seen a spike that tall before, :-? . Whoever owned it originally must have been a little guy. Anyone with any height would have to duck their head going through a doorway! Although I guess palaces did have huge doorways. Awes....a premier maker in my experience!
Oh! You meant height :D

An observation.....we see split prong stars with tin washers and a spike base support disc. I don’t believe that I have ever seen that combination before, usually it is either or but not both. The wappen has the usual screw post and washer combination.

Jim ;
Great helmet ! I will see if I can find anything for you .Major Fiebig did a lot of articles in Zeitschrift .I will continue to check .
Steve

One of the most visually appealing helmets I've ever seen. The Wappen is simply stunning.

The height of the spike is an example of why the regulations were changed to limit the height of spikes as things were getting out of hand.

Thank you all for your kind comments. I have been searching through the Rang Listed from 1900 through 1918 cataloging the Flusgel Adjutanten and Ordinanz Officers for all of the Fuersten and I have been unable to find any reference to a Flugel Adjutant for Saxe Weimar. Can anyone help me?

I would have expected to see a squared front visor, cruciform spike base, fluted spike, and Fuerst rather than Koenig on the motto. To me it suggests that this is a Prussian Guard helmet with the star added...

Arran said:
I would have expected to see a squared front visor, cruciform spike base, fluted spike, and Fuerst rather than Koenig on the motto. To me it suggests that this is a Prussian Guard helmet with the star added...

You are correct. The basis for the Sachsen-Weimar Fluegeladjutant helmet was the Prussian general helmet, with the classic characteristics you have listed for the visor, spike and basis (I should add the curved chinscales; are these flat or slightly curved?), with white metal fittings, except for the golden Sachsen star. They did switch to the white Garde eagle in 1892, but of course with "Fuerst" in the motto. Not easy to make out, but it seems that we have "Koenig" here, and an enigma...

Here is the real helmet for a Saxe Weimar Fluegeladjutant. Now, the real enigma is: how such an outstanding expert as Jim is suggest he was showing a FA helmet? There was most likely some communication issue (Jim's books remain invaluable and constant references for me...).

thumbnail__DSC0675.jpg
thumbnail__DSC0674.jpg
thumbnail_HelmSWE.jpg

In the book of Joachim Hilsenbeck (Deutsche Offiziershelme 1870-1918, Band 1), page 45, one can see a period pict of a Flügeladjutant of Sachsen-Weimar, unfortunately without name.
The visor is clearly squared and chinscales rounded...As the helmet of Großherzog Wilhelm-Ernst of Sachsen-Weimar which is pictured on page 44.
And gilt fittings...

That´s the reason why I´am afraid of those "scarce" helmets and do not want to collect them without any 100% provenance.

Philippe
:wink:

Arran said:
Finally someone pointed this out.

Back