Saxon artillery

Carlson

I've been looking for one like this for a while . . . Saxon M1895 EM artillery Haube. I believe it must have been a private purchase helmet; the leather, though worn, is in outstanding condition. It has no marks to it on the inside, except for the owner's name, which was written into the rear skirt. It's very hard to read("Eichen . . ." The man I bought it from got it in a London antique store in the early 1970s.

The Reichs kokard is in the saxon style (smooth edged), but it seems to me it might be for an NCO. Or would an OYV have used it?

The Wappen has been there forever. The connector needle holding the Saxon shield onto the Wappen is even impressed into the leather.

David

sa15mu.jpg

dsc01274zr.jpg

dsc01306ca.jpg

kokard5lo.jpg

Dave,
Another one! You have been a busy but good boy! I do not think private purchase. It looks issue with no depot marks. It is one of those arty helms with an air bvent on the rear spine. Cockade looks normal for an OR or OYV. Here isa pic of a Saxon OYV with a very OR looking helmet that by definition must be privately purchased.
Saxon%20OYV.jpg

Saxon%20OYV_1.jpg

Cockade is like yours. You will also need a Saxon cockade. The front visor trim on yours is thicker than the OYV private purchase. The front visor o the issued Saxon is more round as standard. Saxon private purchase helmets often have a half rounded visor like the OYV picture.
YOurs has grommets. Private purchase helmets regularly do not. With a leather liner it looks far more issue to me.

David: I agree with Joe. This looks like an issue helmet and the nice thing is, there no evidence that anyone has ever fiddled with it.

Reservist1

Thanks for the lesson and your observations, guys! Very helpful. I should have thought of the vent.

On Kaisersbunker, Tony says that artillery haubes didn't use the vent "until some time in 1914" . . . Assuming that's so ("Tony said it, I believe it, and that settles it!"), that would certainly date this helmet.

Everything on it certainly looks like it's always been there.

David

David,
I don't think the vent is anything conclusive. There is an enlisted uniform reg that we have dated 1906 that says no vent for arty haubes. I'm not sure that we have proof when that changed. We have even seen M15 arty haubes with both types. I see nothing wrong with your haube except a missing cockade. Maybe you should send it to me so I can inspect it closely for oh about 6 or 7 years!

David: Is the kugel detachable? If it does not unscrew the helmet should be foot artillery because the Saxon foot artillery regiments, #'s 12 & 19, did not wear a bush. However, all of the Saxon field artillery regiments, #'s 12, 28, 32, 48, 64, 68, 77 and 78, wore a black bush for parade.

Whether it is foot artillery or field artillery is not a big deal, all M95 Saxon artillery helmets are hard to find. Saxon foot artillery helmets are a whole lot scarcer than Saxon field artilleries.

Reservist1

Joe: Thanks for the offer. What's your address? :D

Reservist1: I was going to ask you why you thought the Haube was foot artillery. Now I know! The Kugel is not detachable. Thanks!

David

And here are the straps for Kgl. Sächs. 1. Fußartillerie-Regt. Nr.12 & 19. Nice score Dave.

For the time being, it is perfectly legit to display that helmet with your FAR Waffenrock as there are no unit markings. Ideally though, you should be looking for a Fußartillerie Waffenrock or a Feldartillerie Pickelhaube.

The vent issue was a result of an old thread where we all agreed (including Joe) that as there was a surviving 1906 order stating no vents on Feldartillerie rear spines, and that when vents do appear they are all on Feldartillerie helmets dated during the war, that this must have happened sometime after 1914 to streamline production. Firm date, however? No.

Sachsen_FuB_Arty.jpg

David ,

Am I going colour blind or is that tunic blue or green?? It looks blue from the photgraph.

Regards
Glenn

"For the time being, it is perfectly legit to display that helmet with your FAR Waffenrock as there are no unit markings. Ideally though, you should be looking for a Fußartillerie Waffenrock or a Feldartillerie Pickelhaube."

Tony: Ideally, I'll find both (not that I've ever even seen a saxon Fußartillerie Waffenrock!) But what would a hobby be if there were no more mountains left to climb? :)

Question for you though . . . are you saying with the vent issue that this fussartillerie haube with a vent would be somewhat of an oddity?

As for the tunic, it's a nice, dark green. I think the sunlight ate up the color a little in the picture.

David

The vent issue was a result of an old thread where we all agreed (including Joe) that as there was a surviving 1906 order stating no vents on Feldartillerie rear spines,
Tony is right. I tried to find the old thread but it must have been pre-crash. The reg was actually 1903.
Enl_14.jpg

Here isan M15 sans vent
Enl_17.jpg

Enl_18.jpg

I have part of a Saxon uniform reg around here somewhere. I seem to remember something about Saxon spines. I will try to find it.

I finally found it. The Saxon reg made no distinction between infantry and arty rear spines whereas the Prussian Reg of 1903 was specific. The Saxons got into variation of haarbusche trichter by branch. Maybe the vent holedifference was Prussian?!?!?!?!?

That's interesting, Joe!

Guess I won't need to send you the helmet for that 6-year inspection after all!

I'm sensing from everyone's comments there aren't a lot of fussartillerie Saxon Haubes out there to evaluate the vent conundrum (if it is one).

David

Back