Saxon Garde Reiter Parade Helmet

hixxy1

Sorry to bother everyone again but I am looking to buy a Garde Reiter parade helmet. And I would very much appreciate your opinions on this helmet. The helmet is on the Virtual Grenadier web site he has about 15 pictures on his web site of it, I would love some help on a very expensive purchase. I am in contact with him at the moment but desperately need help on this helmet. I know nothing of this web site or the person who runs it living in the UK
thanks
Tony

I would really appreciate it if someone on the forum can give me some help with this helmet.
Thanks
Tony

i'm not to keen on giving my thouhgts about this one but the silk seems new instead of dirty it is white so after 100 years this schould not be so clean
the fabrick on the inside of the lobstertail looks dirty and aged why not then the white silk
did you olso ask for pics of the lion its bottemplate and how it all is attatched to the helmet
as to englisch sellers there not all bad
i bough recentely a rare ersatz helmet at ciney from an englischmen and this is a good one
so don't judge them all :oops:

jonas

i agree, the cloth liner is too clean and new. In addition, it has been improperly stitched to the sweatband. The close up of the sweatband and liner tells all.
I am posting additional pictures here for Tony:

Think I had better give this helmet a miss no opinions to be made on it, that is not sounding good.
Tony

Tony....in my case, it is lack of knowledge due to its rarity. I don't know anyone who even owns one. I asked Tony Schnurr to take a look at your post, he said that this dealer has an excellent reputation for honesty and expertise but that he himself knew nothing about the SGR helmets. The reference article that I mentioned to you (written in 1980's) in my email also stated that even then, there were mistaken descriptions about these pieces made by German Auction houses selling them. They thought they were Prussian Cuirassier helmets adorned with Saxon emblems. I noted also on VG that this is a consignment item, perhaps the seller is known to some of the members here?

b.loree said:
i agree, the cloth liner is too clean and new. In addition, it has been improperly stitched to the sweatband. The close up of the sweatband and liner tells all.

The liner not looks like restitched to the sweatband. No any holes from first stitching. Howewer the sttitch looks not accurate..:-k

Back