Saxon Infantry Regiment Nr 100

Larmo

Greetings Guys

Wanted to try a set-up like this as I have always been very impressed by others efforts on this forum to display groupings pertaining to a particular unit. In this case these artifacts are of the 100th Saxon Infantry, a particular favorite of mine for no other reason than I like the regiment :D, of course it doesn't hurt that the 100th Saxon was one of the premier regiments of the old army and the Life Guard Regiment of Saxony. The large starburst wappens on Saxon headgear look terrific in my opinion.

Displayed for your perusal and critique are the following. An enlisted pattern waffenrock which bears the original owners tag inside the collar, and while not shown, a costume house property stamp from Milwaukee Wisconsin. The shoulder straps bear the cypher of King Albert who ruled from 1873 until 1902, the white cording was in effect from 1893.

Silver trim Saxon M1871 Pickelhaube, of a pattern worn by the 100th Regiment and Saxon Pioneer Battalion Nr 12. This helmet is unmarked and may be private purchase.

Model 1871 service bayonet, unit marked to the 100th Regiment on both guard and scabbard throat. The blade spine is dated 1874, the bayonet frog is WWII era.

Model 1898 service bayonet, again unit marked to the 100th Regiment with the blade spine dated 1903.

Lastly a nice clear cdv image of a young Saxon soldier wearing a similar tunic and proudly displaying his pickelhaube. Thanks guys

Larry

uniform2.jpg
uniform1.jpg

uniform3.jpg
uniform4u.jpg

uniform8.jpg
uniform9.jpg
uniform10.jpg

uniform7.jpg
uniform6.jpg

uniform5.jpg

Hi Charles

Thanks for the bump, this posting's been a Rip Van Winkle for a while. My pics could be better though.. How about a peek at your feldgrau guy?

Larry

Larry,

Absolutely fantastic grouping Larry!! Love it!

The feeling is almost surreal when you can get gear back together that has been separated for so long!

Thank you for sharing your treasure!

John

Larry,

great stuff but have you got that 1874-1913 pattern Saxon Landwehr Officers' Long Service Decoration 2nd Class pinned to the Grenadier's Waffenrock?

Regards
Glenn

Thanks guys for all the kind words :notworthy: ....I really appreciate it.

Glennj, I guess I'm a magpie at heart, attracted to shiny bits of metal and pretty ribbons, although here's a fellow with similar action courtesy of EBAY http://www.ebay.com/itm/200807514601?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, please elaborate when you can..these Landwehr badges always confuse me.

Cheers all..

Larry

Larry,

There is a similarity in design between the pre 1913 2nd Class Landwehr Officers' Long service decorations (ie. a rectangular clasp surmounted on a broad ribbon) and the pre 1913 non-commissioned officers' long service awards. Here is an example of a Prussian NCOs' pattern 9 year long service award. Bearing in mind your Grenadier's tunic was neither that of a non commissioned officer or of a re-enlisted solidier (Kapitulant), it's owner would not have been the recipient of a long service award.

Regards
Glenn

fw3.jpg

Hi Guys…..Joe there are no markings in this helmet what-so-ever, so the private purchase angle sounds pretty good to me..in a perfect collecting world it would be great for it to be unit marked to the 100th, but oh well, it’s one of my favorites in any case.

Glenn, thanks very much, a great help indeed. I do not know very much about these long service/landwehr awards but find them very interesting nonetheless. I’ve unintentionally assembled a very small collection of them and related items that have washed up on my shoreline collecting wise.

It seems in our collecting journey one discovery or learning process leads to new questions, so if you don't mind, I would like to ask a few questions of you (or other forum Pals) regarding some examples I will post here of Landwehr badges, with apologies for wandering off topic.

First question, the Prussian example you have pictured bears the cypher or initials F.W.III (Friedrich Wilhelm III 1770-1840) does this mean that this award would date from the time of his reign, or from Freidrich (Wilhelm) III who reigned for only 99 days in 1888. Or do all Prussian awards of this type bear the same initials, regardless of who was King or Emperor at the time? I have a similar one in our collection as yours.

landw1.jpg
landw2.jpg

Next up is this oldie attached directly to the ribbon of the 1848 Revolution medal, 1848/1849 Hohenzollern Denkmunze fur Kampfer. Mounted to its black/white ribbon is a Landwehr award bearing the initials F.W.IV, (Freidrich Wilhelm IV 1840-1861), maybe I just answered my own question. Interestingly the medal itself is mounted backwards on its suspension. Further, according to one source, the ribbed suspension ring indicates manufacture at the Royal Mint at Berlin .

Next is this very nice Bavarian example mounted to a two-place medal bar showing the 1870-1871 Campaign Medal & Centenary Medal. It has the initials for Ludwig II, the Dream King, who reigned from 1864-1886. Do Bavarian awards post 1886 display other intitials?

landw3.jpg

Another old soldier, F.W.IV, this time by itself and missing its mounting pin but retaining its black metal frame.

img0514nf.jpg

For fun, a miniature three place bar with the Landwehr bar displaying the F.W.IV initials. However the Centenary medal was awarded in 1897, well into the reign of Wilhelm II.

landw6.jpg

Lastly, a well worn 1870-1871 Campaign Medal with bar attached directly to the ribbon, it also displays the F.W.IV initial. With the Campaign medal awarded during the reign of Wilhelm I.

landw5.jpg

As a reminder for the discussion the Saxon example in my first photos bears Albert’s initials, with the dates of his reign being 1873-1902.
Did earlier/later awards have different initials?

Perhaps some other Pickelhaube Pals would be willing to share some examples of these badges from their collections, or maybe we should start a new thread over in the medals section?

Cheers Guys…

Larry

Larry,

its a big subject but to start off with in the case of the Prussian Landwehr Decoration 2nd Class. It was instituted in 1842 and had the initials FW IV (Friedrich Wilhelm IV) and continued to be issued with those initials until replaced in 1913 by a small medal.

The NCOs' Long Service Decoration was instituted in 1825 in three classes during the reign of Friedrich Wilhelm III and had the initials FW III. Like the example above these continued in use until 1913 when they too were replaced by medals.

The Bavarian example you posted was instituted in 1876 during the reign of König Ludwig II and continued to be issued with his initials during the reigns of his successors unaltered.

Regards
Glenn

Thanks Glenn, very much thanks. I realize that even with these little bars there is an indepth study to be done to understand them properly. Any reference you could recommend, German text OK...

Larry

Thanks Badener :thumb up: I would like to add though, that without Glenn's remarks and comments, my post would be just a display of pretty pictures.

The members who answer our questions here give us a very precious gift, their time and expertise, which IMHO is the real blessing of Pickelhaubes.com. Such a wealth of knowledge available to us all for the price of merely signing up. Brian graciously provides this venue at his own expense and time, unbelieveable. =D>

You do not see the bickering, name-calling and petty squabbling found on other forums. We all act like reasonable adults and try to help one another. Very cool in my book.

Sorry for the mini-editorial, but it's Sunday morning and I feel like saying Thank You to all who try and help. God Bless.
Larry

Larry,

Any reference you could recommend

Nothing specific on Long Service awards. You really could spend a veritable fortune on books about orders (I know!!!) but a cheap and cheerful tome on Prussian Orders, decorations and medals is "Die Orden und Ehrenzeichen des Königreich Preußen" by Arnhard Graf Klenau and Peter Sauerwald.

Regards
Glenn

Back