Saxon on ebay.de

Chlodovech

Hi,

What do you think of this one

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Pickelhaube-eines-sachsischen-Einjahrig-Freiwilligen-aus-der-Kaiserzeit-/330818510191?pt=Militaria&hash=item4d0651dd6f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:-k

I could be mistaken, but it seems that this helmet contains the wrong state cockade. A saxon cockade is green and the one that is on the helmet seems to be a Bavarian state cockade imo. Moreover, I am not convinced of the authenticity of the chinstrap as well as cockades and, in addition, I am surprised that there is no ventilation hole on the rear spine, while it is said to be an EM helmet (Es handelt sich dabei um einen Mannschaftshelm). Hence, I would let this one pass :-k

Best regards,

Edwin

Chinstrap and cockades are certainly not original to the helmet as Edwin has said. I find the early officer style liner to be interesting and wonder about the trim being E.M. style... have to look in some books. I also wonder about the little pin that would be behind the top of the starburst. I've never seen that before and at first thought this may have been a converted fire helmet, but there's no noticeable imprint of a comb... still it could be something added to snug the plate down, but then, why a pin and not another screw? I'd like to see how the plate is attached to the helmet, unless I'm not seeing a photo that is there.
Again, need to look into some books.
Overall I agree with Edwin. From the liner to the trim and the washers for the spike brads, this one just doesn't sit right with me.

:D Ron

Back