saxon shako

Here is my latest helmet that i bought yesterday at the militaria fair in Wavre. Thanks to a forum member that was willing to sell this great shako, i was able to buy it.

1zppjyw.jpg

2rny2ch.jpg

zmyxie.jpg

rlyivo.jpg

mczpn5.jpg

Greetings

Pickelhaube

Nice helmet
I like those
makes me wish that I had
more than Prussian helmets only .

Steve

lovely piece and would like it in my collection. But I too am a bit confused, It is marked to a train battalion, but has the horn on the wappen. Could some explain (I can be a little dense at times).

I hope it's ok for me to place this link here, but Tony explained a bit here:

http://www.ghw2.com/topic/24607-the-sachsen-tschako/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They took an old shako, changed the plate, chinstrap, placed the m91 side posts and added the plume.

Greetings

Pickelhaube

aicusv said:
Above link will not let me view posting.

Odd, it's a link to German helmet Walhalla. Tony gave an explanation about Saxon shako's.

I hope Tony doesnt mind if i copy and past his explanation here.

"So this would appear to be a standard M1867 Sachsen (Saxon) Jäger Tschako for Kgl. Sächs. 1. Jäger-Batl.Nr.12 (Freiburg), Kgl. Sächs. 2. Jäger-Batl.Nr.13 (Dresden). Note how it is essentially the same as Roy's Kgl. Sächs. Schützen (Füsilier)-Regiment Prinz Georg Nr.108 Tschako that started this thread, but the colours are reversed.

Schützen regt. Nr.108 carried a nickel-silver Wappen on Tombak star, Jäger carried a Tombak Wappen on nickel-silver star. M91 side posts and chinstrap fittings for Jäger are nickel-silver vs. Tombak.

However, this is a rare little Tschako. It is wonderfully marked inside to Sachsen Reserve Jäger Btln 25, the XII AK, and also dated 1914; certainly very close to when the Battalion was raised 25 Aug 1914."

Only difference is that tony's shako is marked to a jägerbatallion and mine isnt.

Pickelhaube

Nice looking shako! The liner looks like it was leather and silk, but has the draw string in it. Is that how they originally were? If so, it's another "add that to the lexicon" type thing for me.

:D Ron

To answer this, i'm gonna use another quote of Tony, i hope he wont mind.

"The shell of the Tschako is not made from leather, but pressed wool/felt. The top of the Tschako is leather, as are the bottom edges and front visor. The liner on issued Sachsen (Saxon) Tschako are unique, having scalloped edges tied with thick colored cord. This is common for all issued Sachsen Tschako of this pattern."

I really checked about the saxon shako's before i bought this one, since theyre a bit special.

Greetings

Pickelhaube

This M67 shako has seen a lot :eek:

First TB12, than TB19, till maximum 1903, because after this date, the saxon TB wore the spike helmet.

1890: addition of the two ventilation holes
betwen 1891 and 1903: addition of the M91 side posts and chinstrap as a new wappen, because the TB saxon sun was brass and center silver
1909: addition of the Jäger bugle

You just still have to find the extremely rare and special small cockades which have to fit this headgear (non serrated).

I think I can see, there is a name at the inside of your shako...Can you make it out?

Philippe
:wink:

Back