Say it loud or I will cut that little thing off

joerookery

fahnenlied_1.jpg

I am looking for a photo of the swearing in ceremony. I always thought it had to do with the flag. What ceremony is this? Looking at the fingers. I think they are doing some sort of an oath. Thoughts?
fahnenlied.jpg

fahnenleid_back.jpg

fahnenleid_back_left.jpg

fahnenleid_back_right.jpg

fahnenleid_back_top.jpg

Hi Joe,
I am kinda busy at the moment so I will take this step by step.I have transformed it already in readable German,just lacking the last 4 words which will follow up soon.Afterwards I will translate in English if nobody else did then already.
Here it is:
Herrn Max Gerstner u. Frau!
Ich erlaube mir Euch die besten Gruesse von hier zu senden und sage gleichzeitig nochmals herzlichen Dank für Euer liebes Paket das ich erhalten habe und mit gutem und frohem Mut verzehrt habe und hoffe auf ein baldiges Wiedersehen in der Heimat.Wir gehen am 25. nach ?
Seit herzlich gegrüsst....

In short it is a thanks postcard for a parcel the writer had been sent earlier by the recipient.

Best

Many thanks AR.....I for one have no German and I would very much appreciate an English translation. It is ironic here in North America that more Americans seem to know German but very little French. Here in Canada the reverse is true...we know French but very little German. Yes....I know Tony that you are the exception and I have the Federal tax bills to prove it ha ha!! Our forces may have ancient equipment but by God their officers can all issue commands in French and English!! Best regards, Brian

I'm surprised no one's translated this yet:

Here goes:

Dear Herr Max Gerstner and wife:

I will allow myself to send you the best greetings from here and at the same time give you my heartfelt thanks for that dear package I received and with great courage devoured [must have been food in it!] and hope to see you soon in the homeland. On the 25th, we're going to Zeithain.

[Zeithain being a Saxon training camp].

Hope that helps.

David

Back