Schirmmützen – Little Hussars

Jeff R

One sign that I *might* have a problem where Imperial German cloth headgear is concerned - I look for weird little pieces of reservistitika or mementos related to cloth cavalry headgear.

The top image is a Tellermütze cloth pincushion in the colors of Thüringisches Husaren-Regt. Nr.12 paired with a EM cap in the same color scheme (albeit in the deeper, brighter interpretation of “cornflower blue” favored by the Saxon cavalry – this example coming from Kgl. Sächs. 2. Husaren-Regt. Nr.19).

Below is a porcelain Schirmmütze of the Leib-Garde Husaren Regt, paired with a EM Tellermütze from the same regiment. I believe this was intended to be an ashtray, and the top shows some wear from being displayed upside down. The interior is marked D R G M (“Deutsches Reichsgebrauchsmuster”), which was a sort of trademark for German-made goods c.1891 to 1952.

Nifty little pieces, which my wife finds adorable (so that’s nice!).

Little Hussars.jpgLittle Hussars 2.jpg

One sign that I *might* have a problem where Imperial German cloth headgear is concerned - I look for weird little pieces of reservistitika or mementos related to cloth cavalry headgear.

The top image is a Tellermütze cloth pincushion in the colors of Thüringisches Husaren-Regt. Nr.12 paired with a EM cap in the same color scheme (albeit in the deeper, brighter interpretation of “cornflower blue” favored by the Saxon cavalry – this example coming from Kgl. Sächs. 2. Husaren-Regt. Nr.19).

Below is a porcelain Schirmmütze of the Leib-Garde Husaren Regt, paired with a EM Tellermütze from the same regiment. I believe this was intended to be an ashtray, and the top shows some wear from being displayed upside down. The interior is marked D R G M (“Deutsches Reichsgebrauchsmuster”), which was a sort of trademark for German-made goods c.1891 to 1952.

Nifty little pieces, which my wife finds adorable (so that’s nice!).

View attachment 32884View attachment 32885
Nice little collection
You do great with cloth hats
Steve

Great stuff, I love the pin cushion! I also have a passion for the Porcelain visor caps.

sorry for crappy pics, it is snowing again we cannot catch a break on weather.

James

Attachments

• DSC01695.JPG
    DSC01695.JPG
    591.8 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC01696 (2).JPG
    DSC01696 (2).JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC01697 (2).JPG
    DSC01697 (2).JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC01698 (2).JPG
    DSC01698 (2).JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC01699.JPG
    DSC01699.JPG
    531.1 KB · Views: 16
These pieces are very cool, I wish I owned one but have never seen them for sale.

These pieces are very cool, I wish I owned one but have never seen them for sale.
They are scarce, and I think most dealers/auction houses don't quite know how to categorize these weird little doodads (which makes them hard to search for, IMO). I've seen a bunch of them in the form of volunteer medical orderly caps like the one James shared, which makes me think some were maybe wartime medical fundraiser rewards?

Back