Scroll helmets in an artillery unit

Robert

What do you think of this? The back writing just tells My gun (Mein Geschütz), June 1916, in Macedonia. Is this really an artillery unit or just a group of GMGA members that took over a captured or otherwise deserted gun?

The uniforms look like the typical GMGA style, allthough most of the men wear boots rather than puttees. What I noticed is that the man in the front has a coloured bayonet knot. From what I know GMGA members used a white knot as the man second from right does. He looks like a higher rank with his shoulder flaps and binoculars.

The men carry different style helmets, with front brim and without, with black or tan chin straps.

gmga_geschuetz_02_680.jpg

gmga_geschuetz_03.jpg

This is a small picture with little detail, yet I think that the scroll numbers should have shown at least a bit if present. Perhaps there are no numbers at all.

gmga_geschuetz_04.jpg

I'm not sure how helpful it is for you, but I'm pretty sure the man with the binoculars is an officer as he is wearing a sword portepee on his bayonet. The type of bayonet is interesting however, it is a Bayerische Seitengewehr 1914. Pretty rare and only used by Bavarian troops. These were made by converting M1903 Greek Mannlicher bayonets which were being made by Simson & Co. So if they are GMGA, I'd say it is likely that they are from Nr. 206-209 (are there ore Bavarian ones or not?).

I don't know about the troddeln EM wore in such unit...

Take a look over here for the Bay.S14:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paranoid_womb/5949887877/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Robert,

What a nice New Year's treat! What I think is most interesting is to the trim on the visor. Surviving examples seem to have that sometimes but this is a photograph. I have run into the phrase Mein Geschütz before. Somehow I think that it was geared towards the unit not the equipment. Something like my squad. So perhaps they use the phrase mein Geschütz instead of Zug??? for these kinds of units???? :-k :-k

German is rather related to Dutch, so Geschütz is the same as Geschut in Dutch. It translates more like: My piece (of artillery...)

This picture still me. boots and an antiaircraft gun. We are still learning so much about these guys!

Back