Section 11 on the barrel

joerookery

There are many of these end of service time photos with a section 11 painted on the end of the barrel. Why? What did it stand for?

section11_450.jpg

Hi Joe:

Perhaps it, or, rather, they, is/are the equivalent of our section eight(s).

Chas.

Joe: This is referred to as Paragraph 11 which was a traditional saying in the German army. It is supposed to refer to paragraph 11 of the general orders. There is no paragraph 11 in the official orders. Paragraph 11 describes the proper etiquette for ordering another beer. The symbol is frequently seen chalked on the ends of beer barrels in period photos. It is also seen as part of the thumb lift design on some regimental beer steins. The photo below is a Paragraph 11 thumlift on a regimental stein from Infantry Regiment 110.

para119of.jpg

Reservist1

Thank you! Boy does this makes sense. I'm trying to find the general orders in the instruction book. While we are really talking about a saying that is not in the general orders that is akin to the American term "Miller time". Thanks.

I echo Joe. that is just so cool. I love it.

Now I want a Stein with one.

I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want

The gist of Paragraph 11 is something like Do not order another beer while there is still beer in your glass.

Reservist1

I have no question that this is true. However, it is also a lousy idea. Ordering a draft beer in Germany is a very slow process. They pour it and let the head settle. If you waited for the first one to be finished before you ordered one to be poured you could be without beer for a very long time. I vote no. :-x

It is supposed to take 7 minutes to properly draw a draft beer in Germany. Not much of a wait for a good thing.
Joe is not a patient man.
These are the little bits of history that one does not find in books.
Gus

Back