Seebattalion III Cabinet Card Portrait

Dirk

I have a strong interest in foreign forces operating in and around China during the last century, and so when this one came up recently on German eBay, I thought I would acquire it. Cabinet card size image which is usual, as unlike the Americans at that time in country, the majority of imperial images I find are CDV sized. So it’s nice to have a cabinet sized image.

Attachments

• 50438F96-8E16-4FE6-A36D-B27BDC2A6664.jpeg
    50438F96-8E16-4FE6-A36D-B27BDC2A6664.jpeg
    677.6 KB · Views: 38
That is very good find, like Tsingtau photographers address.

Thank you for sharing

Last edited:
Your welcome…here is another taken in Tientsin China by a Japanese photographer. I am hoping to use photoshop at some point to clean it up a bit.

Attachments

• E1A2625E-45BA-4D3E-809D-68E790C5DF10.jpeg
    E1A2625E-45BA-4D3E-809D-68E790C5DF10.jpeg
    459 KB · Views: 15
I've tided up up a few with Photoshop for my desktop wallpaper, you can waste hours 😂 but its worth it
I want to try cleaning up, rescanning and colourising one of the Bundesarchive videos off of Youtube, I have the power to do it but no time at the moment but I am quitting IT soon to spend my time with German WW1 militaria, selling it, buying it and just enjoying every minute of it.

The Bundesarchive video clean up sounds like a really fun project! I find myself torn between collecting images or spending money to clean them up once I buy them….right now the collecting side is winning!

Maybe we should start a thread with loads of Cabinet photos in, I have them in all sorts of sizes from 50mm x 120 to beyond A4 (210mm x 297mm). One of an Austrian gerneral that is the biggest I have yet seen, some great ones of a family day 1907 at the arillery testing range and familes including mothers and wives sitting on these huge guns. These were the predecessors of monster Krupp guns that were part of the fort crushing artillery in 1914

I agree fully….it may well make good research thread….there are so many small details in photos that some sharp eyed collector will spot and then add to the collective knowledge bucket.

Just before Christmas I bought 78 more at auction in Germany, I also have some unusual Cabinet Photos 😂. I can do 1900 - 1919

Fantastic! They are hard not to collect. The quality of Imperial photographers was excellent. How would the thread be organized by date, service, branch specialty.…in the photo section? What would the moderators prefer ?

Fantastic! They are hard not to collect. The quality of Imperial photographers was excellent. How would the thread be organized by date, service, branch specialty.…in the photo section? What would the moderators prefer ?
I am happy with whatever people want maybe Infanty, Artillery, Cavalry, Navy, as general topics then they can be posted as Infantry. IR112, RIR200, Artillery.Feld or Foot
Cavalry.Uhlan
the possibilites are literally endless.:cool:

Nick I have a few examples of each that I can throw in as well. By service and branch seems good like you said, cavalry uhlan etc

I have a strong interest in foreign forces operating in and around China during the last century, and so when this one came up recently on German eBay, I thought I would acquire it. Cabinet card size image which is usual, as unlike the Americans at that time in country, the majority of imperial images I find are CDV sized. So it’s nice to have a cabinet sized image.
Stunning photo, Dirk. This is a piece of history. Congrats.
Zeb

Back