Seeking advice on cuirassier helmet

TacHel

G'day gents! Long time!

I found an incredible little museum in the Eastern Townships (near Sherbrooke Quebec) with a small but still quite impressive military collection spanning nearly 2 centuries. It’s in Knowlton, a small town of barely 5,000 inhabitants. Believe it or not, this museum houses one of only 7 surviving WW1 German Fokker D-VIIs!!

Anyhow, they have a few pickelhaubes and helmets, see the attached picture.
museumhelms.jpg

Here’s the prob, I’m trying to help them put the helms back in order. Here’s my quite amateurish assessment, tell me if you agree:
-The cuirassier’s helmet at center has the spike of the helm at left and the wappen of the helm at right.
Is my asessment plausible?

If I'm right, I have cockades and chin straps for all 3, I also have a proper wappen for the cuirassier’s helmet… The prob is, where on Earth can one find a spike top for a cuirassier’s helmet? Am I wrong in my thinking that they differ from the spikes on the leather helmets? IMHO, they look narrower and not quite as curved.

I'm really shooting from the hip here and welcome, actually, eagerly await your input.

I figured I'd be a twit not to show you the superb 100% oiriginal Fokker D-VII I mentioned in the original post.

Fokkerfrontright.jpg

TacHel said:
Here’s the prob, I’m trying to help them put the helms back in order. Here’s my quite amateurish assessment, tell me if you agree:
-The cuirassier’s helmet at center has the spike of the helm at left and the wappen of the helm at right.
Is my asessment plausible?
Hi Frank:

I agree with you regarding the spike. The spike of a Küraßier helmet should look like this:

P1011121.jpg

However, the Wappen looks like one of the M15 ferrous birds. I think it belongs to the Küraßier as the leather helmet appears to have Neusilber furniture and the widespread grommets suggest one of the Garde regiments.

The D-VII is smashing.

Chas

Salut François,
Good old Sherbrooke... I've spent at least 2 of my summers driving back and forth between Montreal and the Stanstead surroundings in the mid-90s on business.
Don't know how I missed that museum though! Great photo (the Fokker)! Sometimes you find the nicest stuff in the smallest of museums...

To your questions: Your reasoning is 100% correct regarding the spike; it is the Infantry type so shouldn't be on the Kürassier Metalhelme as already mentioned by Chas.
For another nice M1915 Prussian Kürassier Enlisted Man's Metalhelme with the correct spike: http://www.kaisersbunker.com/feldgrau/helmets/fgh15.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For the classic M1915 Prussian Infantry Enlisted Man's Pickelhaube: http://www.kaisersbunker.com/feldgrau/helmets/fgh03.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chas & Ronnie, thanks a mil guys! :thumb up:

And Ronnie, the darn thing is, eventhough I left 31 years ago to join the air force, I'm originally from Sherbrooke... I had no idea these treasures were there until last week.

Back