SEITENGEWEHR M98 BAYONET

ES-SINN

HI ALL, JUST PICKED UP A NICE, FULL LENGTH SEITENGEWEHR M98 BAYONET SADLEY MISSING IT'S SCABBARD.
IT'S PRUSSIAN ORDANANCE MARKED & DATED 1913 & MAKER MARKED TO C.G. HAENEL, SUHL.
IT'S GOT SOME UNIT MARKINGS - 236.R8.109. I PRESUME THE R8 STANDS FOR THE 8TH I.R., 1st BRANDENBURG, LIEB-GRENADIER (KONIG FRIEDRICH WILHELM 2) REGT.
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE OTHER NUMBERS SIGNIFY?

CHEERS,

RICHARD MORRIS.

P.S.: - HAS ANYBODY OUT THERE GOT A SPARE SCABBARD FOR SALE?

I think it might be 236.R.8.109 = 236 Regt. 8th Kompany 109th weapon, which would be the same for the rifle it was issued with. What kind of R? Is it script? There was a 236 Reserve Infantry Regt. that was formed 10 Sept. 1914.

HI, THANKS FOR THE REPLY. I THOUGHT I MIGHT BE 'OFF THE MARK'. THE R IS A BIT FAINT BUT IT LOOKS LIKE SCRIPT UNDER A GLASS.

ALL THE BEST,

RICHARD.

Wyliecoyote said:
I think it might be 236.R.8.109 = 236 Regt. 8th Kompany 109th weapon, which would be the same for the rifle it was issued with. What kind of R? Is it script? There was a 236 Reserve Infantry Regt. that was formed 10 Sept. 1914.

George ; Bayonets and rifles were not unit marked "together". The likelihood that you will find a bayonet marked exactly like a rifle is great...but it has nothing to do with it being 'mated' by that marking to an identically marked rifle.
You can find pre war german bayonets and rifles that have the same waffe nummer as wartime rifles/bayonets. That has simply to do with the earlier item being struck off the property book of that unit due to loss in action or a salvaged item that never made it back to it's parent unit and thus written off to have it's waffe nummer reused.

Back