Selling Pieces from advanced collection

Jager

I have not posted in several years. I had a car accident earlier this year that I am blessed to have survived from but has left me with some bills I need to take care of. I would like to sell a few of my helmets to help with expenses. Some rare stuff in excellent condition. LGR 8 EM III enlisted, HR 15 officer Busby in pristine condition, IR 96 enlisted marked, Wurttemburg Company 4 enlisted, and many others. All my helmets are in super condition without extra holes or issues. I am looking for the opinion of the group about the best way to sell without drama. I am a professional who does not have time for that. I can call a dealer but wondered what the opinion of the group was on the rare stuff. Thanks in advance.

I have not posted in several years. I had a car accident earlier this year that I am blessed to have survived from but has left me with some bills I need to take care of. I would like to sell a few of my helmets to help with expenses. Some rare stuff in excellent condition. LGR 8 EM III enlisted, HR 15 officer Busby in pristine condition, IR 96 enlisted marked, Wurttemburg Company 4 enlisted, and many others. All my helmets are in super condition without extra holes or issues. I am looking for the opinion of the group about the best way to sell without drama. I am a professional who does not have time for that. I can call a dealer but wondered what the opinion of the group was on the rare stuff. Thanks in advance.
Jäger, I'm no SME, but there are many in this forum, so I'd say this is the right place. If you post pictures and asking price here, you'll get feedback and may get some offers. I see many pieces being sold to forum members.
Regards,
Tim

Making for sale posts on the forum here would probably be the best drama free way to get all of your money, auction houses will likely take longer as you'll have to wait for when they're ready and have enough inventory to sell and they'll also take a percentage of what the helmets sell for themselves.

Hi Paul,

I'm very sorry that you experienced a car accident, and glad that you survived. A car accident is a horrible situation to experience. I hope that your recovery is going well for you.

I am not a dealer. My best guess from talking with other collectors over the past few years, and seeing what is said on other collector forums, is that a dealer will likely offer you 50% value on your items, maybe slightly more if you're lucky, or at a worse case, they can even offer you less than 50% retail value on your items you wish to sell.

Auction houses vary with commission % that they charge a consignor, as well as length of time before they actually host the auction sale (it may be several months before they schedule a sale, dependant upon what their current sale calendar is). Then one must consider adding on the pay off time they will take to get you the funds from the sales result. If you're selling a few pieces and not a large collection, they will likely not be willing to negotiate on what ever their set auction sale commission percentage is for consignors. The larger the collection and value, the more likely they may be to negotiate the selling commission percent with you.

If you're willing to take the time, you'll likely get the most out of your items if you try to sell them yourself. This forum is a good place to give that a try. It costs nothing to post headgear or other items for sale here. We have a very active group here with good buyers.

Best Wishes,

Alan

I pulled out my photo light box and will start with the LGR 8 III. Pics to follow tomorrow. I hate sell these they are like my babies but when you have to be off work for two months because of someone else's negligence and the way the US legal system works it will be two years before I see any money from this accident. I appreciate the kind words Alan. God had angel wings around me and my 911 gave its life for me.
I have many parts too that I will be listing.

Paul

I have also done deals with friends during hard times where I have bought items from their collection and then when they were back on their feet financially sold it back to them for exactly what I paid. Kind of like pawning it except you'll never have to worry about losing it or paying interest

Hello Paul,

I am sorry to hear about your accident.
I think private deals are the best way. I have sold helmets at US and European auctions in the past. They pay quickly but margins are low and they may not stage your helmets very well if they compete with their internal buys which has higher margin for the house.
I am interested in 1st grd officer or 92nd officer.

Well here is the first one
Leib Grenadier 8 Bataillon III
The front plate maintains at least 70% of its guilding (hard to show in photos) and as you can see has a perfect ghost on the helmet and no extra holes or repairs. Never cleaned or messed with. A very hard to find helmet in this condition. Accepting offers. I hate to see it go and know I won't see another.
Paul

Attachments

• DSC_0431.jpg
    DSC_0431.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 87
  • DSC_0433.jpg
    DSC_0433.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 83
  • DSC_0434.jpg
    DSC_0434.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 59
  • DSC_0436.jpg
    DSC_0436.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 67
  • DSC_0439.jpg
    DSC_0439.jpg
    894.1 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC_0441.jpg
    DSC_0441.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 87
  • DSC_0440.jpg
    DSC_0440.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 80
  • DSC_0442.jpg
    DSC_0442.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 69
  • DSC_0444.jpg
    DSC_0444.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 55
  • DSC_0445.jpg
    DSC_0445.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 50
  • DSC_0447.jpg
    DSC_0447.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 83
Hello Jager,
Does your III/LGR8 show some regimental stamps like that on the neckguard? (I own one of the I with the star M91 posts)

leib16.JPG
Thank you.
Philippe

So I am asking 3500 for this helmet - open to negotiate price. I paid 3000 euro 10 years ago for it. Super rare as you all know only one battalion in German army was allowed to wear this. The condition is also fantastic. Kept in perfect 45-50% humidity conditions. If more pictures desired let me know.
Paul

Wow you kind of paid a lot 10 years ago.
You can get a very nice Officers Grenadier for your price range.
I guess I was lucky to pick mine up 10 years ago at a third of the price.
Not trying to flame you but you are kind of high on your asking price.

Wow you kind of paid a lot 10 years ago.
You can get a very nice Officers Grenadier for your price range.
I guess I was lucky to pick mine up 10 years ago at a third of the price.
Not trying to flame you but you are kind of high on your asking price.

I´d like to order 10 pieces at that price 😁
It´s also a question of condition and if the helmet is well marked. Do you have picts of your helmet?
Such absolutely rare helmets are handled and quickly sold without any problems to those prices (3000-3500 Euro).
How many perfectly marked EM LGR8 did you see? Personaly, I only know two LGR8 helmets with regimental stamps (one of them is mine).
Philippe

I´d like to order 10 pieces at that price 😁
It´s also a question of condition and if the helmet is well marked. Do you have picts of your helmet?
Such absolutely rare helmets are handled and quickly sold without any problems to those prices (3000-3500 Euro).
How many perfectly marked EM LGR8 did you see? Personaly, I only know two LGR8 helmets with regimental stamps (one of them is mine).
Philippe
I agree with all that you write
Maybe mine is the other one ?
I also have a collector friend in Europe who has one
let's see the photos of the one that Pickelhauben owns
Is it a Kammer stamp issue helmet ?
Do the side lugs have the Fugel Horn ??
I will show you mine , if you will show me yours L G R 8 a.jpgL G R 8 b.jpgL G R 8 e m f h .jpgL G R 8.jpgLGR 8 enlisted.jpeg
for officers Grenadier helmets
the hard to find are G R 1; G R 4 ; G R 7 with side buttons
L G R 8 with side buttons and G R 9
but good enlisted are much harder to find IMO

Thanks Phillippe
Yes Pickelhauben you can get an officer grenadier for that price but not an 8. Again, this helmet represents only one battalion in the German army making them very rare. The Star is Battalion 1 & 2 the fugel horn is Batalion 3, the condition is excellent. Look at the gilding on the eagle. I also am open to offers.

Back