Selling Pieces from advanced collection

In my 40 years of collecting and restoration, I have only worked on one Grenadier OR helmet unmarked but totally original. I was also present years ago when a 1or 2 walked into the SOS in the hands of non collectors who went around the show offering it to dealers. Eventually, they sold it to Randy T from A of Kings because he offered them a decent price where others tried to rip them off. I had only seen these in reference books. So, in my experience anything Grenadier is extremely rare, let alone a piece well marked to G 8.

It would have been nice if the Germans had marked everything. I will upload some more pics of the posts and guilding on this beautiful helmet - I really don't want to sell it but have to let a few of my babies go to float me through a tough time. It is the real deal - the sight lists me as a new member - if you look at my profile have been under the radar since 2008. Been involved in helmets since I was a kid in the early 70s.

Hi, Sad to know you had a car accident, but thank God you survived.
Nice helmet

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Jager,
Does your III/LGR8 show some regimental stamps like that on the neckguard? (I own one of the I with the star M91 posts)

View attachment 36797
Thank you.
Philippe
I agree with all that you write
Maybe mine is the other one ?
I also have a collector friend in Europe who has one
let's see the photos of the one that Pickelhauben owns
Is it a Kammer stamp issue helmet ?
Do the side lugs have the Fugel Horn ??
I will show you mine , if you will show me yours View attachment 36847View attachment 36848View attachment 36849View attachment 36850View attachment 36851
for officers Grenadier helmets
the hard to find are G R 1; G R 4 ; G R 7 with side buttons
L G R 8 with side buttons and G R 9
but good enlisted are much harder to find IMO
Hello Jager,
Does your III/LGR8 show some regimental stamps like that on the neckguard? (I own one of the I with the star M91 posts)

View attachment 36797
Thank you.
Philippe

Thanks Phillippe
Yes Pickelhauben you can get an officer grenadier for that price but not an 8. Again, this helmet represents only one battalion in the German army making them very rare. The Star is Battalion 1 & 2 the fugel horn is Batalion 3, the condition is excellent. Look at the gilding on the eagle. I also am open to offers.
KAGGR and Phillip can you send me a private message please the sight won't let me initiate this

New members are restricted from PM until they have made at least 5 posts. This prevents spam.

I agree with all that you write
Maybe mine is the other one ?
I also have a collector friend in Europe who has one
Steve,
The other one that I have seen is owned by a french collector (with M91 stars, so 1 and 2B).
Now, with your 3 helmets and the one of Jager, I know 6 EM LGR 8 Pickelhauben, included mine. 4 with M91 stars and 2 with M91 horns.

Concerning my own helmet, it is showing following particularities:
1) It also has on the other side of neckguard a regiment stamp of the GR12 which was the brother regiment of the LGR8, same garrison of Frankfurt / Oder.
leib17.JPG

It says: 2 (Brandenburgisches) Gr(renadier) 12.

The GR12 may had some urgent needs of such helmets with this new wide Grenadier eagle, maybe for parades or for official guard duties, shortly before war. So a few helmets could have been rent from the LGR8, not a big thing, because same garrison. Let´s remember: the LGR8 was allowed to wear this Wappen since the 15.6.98. The GR12 was allowed to do that pretty lately, the 16.6.1913. As we will see, this helmet was returned to the LGR8 shortly before mobilization of August 1914.

2) There is in the helmet shell the name of the first wearer after the mobilization: Karl Jäckel. This guy is tracked and traced, was at the 4/LGR8 (IB). He has been seriously wounded on the 14.11.14 near the river Aisne and died a few days later.

leib20.JPG

3) His helmet was then sent back to the LGR8 Ersatz-Bataillon and given to another man who also wrote his name and company in the helmet shell: Unteroffizier Berg, 11/Leib. (IIIB). He first crossed out the name of Jäckel.

leib18.jpg

leib19.jpg

Unteroffizier Richard Berg has also been tracked and traced. He was mobilized at the 6/LGR8 (IIB) ans was wounded during the first weeks of the war:

After his recovery, he came back to the Ersatz-Bataillon of the LGR8 and this helmet was given to him.
We also have a I/LGR8 helmet that has been shortly worn in the GR12 before the war, then first worn during the war in the I/LGR8 (4. Company), then given to a guy which came from the 6/LGR8 (IIB) and moved to the 11/LGR8 (IIIB).
Two Grenadier Regiments and three bataillons for the one and same helmet.

Richard Berg was taken prisoner on the 26.9.15 near Maison de Champagne:

img_9710.jpg

Philippe

Steve,
The other one that I have seen is owned by a french collector (with M91 stars, so 1 and 2B).
Now, with your 3 helmets and the one of Jager, I know 6 EM LGR 8 Pickelhauben, included mine. 4 with M91 stars and 2 with M91 horns.

Concerning my own helmet, it is showing following particularities:
1) It also has on the other side of neckguard a regiment stamp of the GR12 which was the brother regiment of the LGR8, same garrison of Frankfurt / Oder.
View attachment 36972

It says: 2 (Brandenburgisches) Gr(renadier) 12.

The GR12 may had some urgent needs of such helmets with this new wide Grenadier eagle, maybe for parades or for official guard duties, shortly before war. So a few helmets could have been rent from the LGR8, not a big thing, because same garrison. Let´s remember: the LGR8 was allowed to wear this Wappen since the 15.6.98. The GR12 was allowed to do that pretty lately, the 16.6.1913. As we will see, this helmet was returned to the LGR8 shortly before mobilization of August 1914.

2) There is in the helmet shell the name of the first wearer after the mobilization: Karl Jäckel. This guy is tracked and traced, was at the 4/LGR8 (IB). He has been seriously wounded on the 14.11.14 near the river Aisne and died a few days later.

View attachment 36973

3) His helmet was then sent back to the LGR8 Ersatz-Bataillon and given to another man who also wrote his name and company in the helmet shell: Unteroffizier Berg, 11/Leib. (IIIB). He first crossed out the name of Jäckel.

View attachment 36974

View attachment 36975

Unteroffizier Richard Berg has also been tracked and traced. He was mobilized at the 6/LGR8 (IIB) ans was wounded during the first weeks of the war:

After his recovery, he came back to the Ersatz-Bataillon of the LGR8 and this helmet was given to him.
We also have a I/LGR8 helmet that has been shortly worn in the GR12 before the war, then first worn during the war in the I/LGR8 (4. Company), then given to a guy which came from the 6/LGR8 (IIB) and moved to the 11/LGR8 (IIIB).
Two Grenadier Regiments and three bataillons for the one and same helmet.

Richard Berg was taken prisoner on the 26.9.15 near Maison de Champagne:

View attachment 36976

Philippe
I have seen helmets that were used by more than 1 regiment
Your helmet is no question 100 %
Thanks for all the other photos and information
Steve

Super awesome stuff Phillip

I have been a member since 2008 but ok could you send a mail messa

Super awesome stuff Phillip

I have been a member since 2008 but ok could you send a mail message?

Would you mind sharing what your old user ID name was on this forum?

It's unfortunate that you were inactive for several years and lost access to signing in on your old account. It's happened to others here as well who were inactive. I can't recall if it's 6-months time or a year's time of being inactive here, and then the system blocks access to signing in on the account. Brian and Tony probably know the exact time period before someone loses access to signing in on an old inactive account. I know of some other forums where this happens as well, so it's not uncommon to see this with someone having to rejoin using a new member ID name.

Best Wishes,

Alan

Back