shotgun??

joerookery

I don't especially like guns, but it sure looks like this guy has his shotgun. Maybe he was hunting. Or maybe this is his gun? Perhaps one of the gun people can make sense of this.
shotgun0001.jpg

shotgun0002.jpg

Looks like a side by side double barrel shotgun for sure. Hard to see where it breaks open to load, might be a muzzle loading shot gun?

I've seen a number of photos like this, there must have been a lot of hunting going on. Remember that one photo on Commission Rifle if a reservist armed with a Karabiner 88 & a hare?

Geo

The fellow appears to be either a Bavarian Uhlan or Chevauleger. Given the mud and thatch dwelling it appears that he is in the East which would make sense for cavalry for widely used in that theatre. Given the pipe and shotgun he is obviously in the rear someplace where a little recreational "sport" could be enjoyed. Like others I have seen many photos of off dity WWI Germans hunting.

Interesting text,
To remember the world war 1914-1918 from your old friend, dated 27 november 1917
Karl ?? in Macidonia
Gus

Thanks Robert, The z. Z. puzzeled me, I also could mot make out his last name, It looks to me like he has slipped into a combination of scripts. I have seen many cards where the text is written in Sutterlin script, and the address is written in what we would think of as a more normal script, and even some that have text printed on them, I even have one that combines all three types of writting. Any way, I take this as a card that was written after the war, but he is dateing the photo to the 27. Nov 1917, so I believe that the man in the photo is the writter, and it was taken in Macedonia, but the z. Z. would mean that the writter is currently in Macedonia, meaning that the photo could have been taken any where?
Best wishes
Gus

His name looks like "Bartenschlager" to me (this name does exist) or something similar.
It looks to me like he has slipped into a combination of scripts.
I see that on old postcards from my own family as well, they mixed up everything and actually real Sütterlin was rather uncommon during the war (most people used the old Kurrent).

The date is a bit of a mystery. It looks like he took an old war time picture of which he knew the date, and wrote a dedication for a friend on it. "zur Zeit" would normally indicate that he was in Macedonia when he wrote the lines, but I guess he simply used the term in an unprecise way and meant to say the picture was taken there.

One of my books tells that the 2. Eskadron of the Bavarian Reserve-Kavallerie-Regiment Nr. 1 was stationed in Macedinia in 1918. With the right sources, it might be possible to narrow him down to a unit.

Great photo!

Was the 2. Eskadron of the Bavarian Reserve-Kavallerie-Regiment Nr. 1 a Chevauleger unit? I don't know too much about reserve cavalry units, but weren't they each attached to a regualr unit? If so does anyone know which one this was attached to?

Cheers
Chris

Back