Should I try too restore?

Brandofanta

Hello all, so I have had these Pickelhaubes (if you can even call them that, for a while now. I purchased them when I was 14 for around 70 dollars and thought how great it would be to try and restore them. I didn’t understand at the time how hard it would be too attempt to find parts and how bad the condition was of the shells. I would still like too attempt to do so if it is at all possible. Is there anyone who currently does extensive shell repair on here and would it be worth it? I don’t even know exactly what I have. Thank you all in advance for any info on what they are and if it’s worth it.

Attachments

• IMG_0224.jpg
    IMG_0224.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2,100
  • IMG_0231.jpg
    IMG_0231.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2,100
  • IMG_0236.jpg
    IMG_0236.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,099
  • IMG_0238.jpg
    IMG_0238.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,099
  • IMG_0244.jpg
    IMG_0244.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2,100
Hard to tell with just one upside down picture.
Do the shells have liners ?
Hard to tell is the rougher one an officers ?
The one on the right is a 1915 Enlisted Mans you can find one intact for $350-$550
If you were to buy the parts you are looking at :
Gray spike ----------------------------------$100-$150
Rear spine----------------------------------- $35-$45
Front and rear visors with trim ----------$70-$85
Eagle plate---------------------------------- $50-$65
Leather Liner------------------------------- $60-$75
Total----------------------------------------- $315-$420

That is not counting the 2 cocareds and chinstrap.

Cocards set ----------------------------$150
Original chinstrap ----------------$150-$250

sorry, i was having a hard time attaching pictures, there was around 8 when i posted it and they all were right side up. i believe the rough one too be an officers helmet, has both visors, the rear spine, spike, and i believe the correct side posts. i would really like to try and restore that one but am having a hard time blocking it into shape and smoothing it out. is there anyone that does shell restoration that could attach the visors and repair the finish? there isn't a liner in ether of the helmets. ill try to post more pictures

Check back through the postings on this group, there are a couple excellent post about doing what you have asked. I think that your helmets maybe good pieces to learn on. Redoing a helmet is like restoring an old car, you can get one already done cheaper. It is something you do as a hobby.

I would really not advize putting time money and effort into these 2 shells. Looking at the M15, everything missing is size specific to that shell...visors, spine, trim, wappen, spike. You could buy original replacements and have them not fit, it's not worth the trouble. Same with the officer shell, the finish is a mess and the interior gutted. Keep the fittings for future use and look for a couple of complete helmets.

Back