Smaller Set-Up Crew, Wednesday Set-Up For All, And Drive-In

Note - VERY IMPORTANT CHANGES for Wednesday set-up and Dealer load-in at the Show-of-Shows.

Posted here for Bill Combs, OVMS President. If you have any questions, please feel free to post them here. Others may be wondering the same thing, so answers to your questions may help more than one person.

ALSO - please help us spread this information far and wide. The more people who are 'in the know' before they get to the SOS, the better. Bill has put this on Facebook, in the OVMS newsletter, and will be carving it with a pocketknife on the stall doors at antique malls throughout the midwest over the next few weeks. I will be posting it on other forums. Feel free to suggest places that Bill and I may not be familiar with that will get the word out. We have email addresses for some of the SOS dealers, but not all, so we are looking for every possible means to get this info out there before the show.

We have made some big changes this year; some due to opportunities presented by the larger hall, others due to new fire regs and other things beyond our control. If it all works out, all should improve the SOS experience for everyone. For example, Wednesday load-in is now going to be available to all tableholders + 1 helper (see below.) We have also arranged to have a number of large carts available to make it easier for you to get your stuff from your vehicle to your tables.

Here is Bill's message:

---------

The 2013 Show of Shows is fast approaching. I know we are all excited about the new expanded size of the hall, the new dealers and more great militaria to buy. But with all these improvements come some changes to our old operating procedures. Read all these changes carefully as they will affect when and how you can get into the SOS.

Changes in the Wednesday Table Set-Up

For a number of years we have relied on a large number of volunteers to help set up the show tables. The OVMS has greatly appreciated the help it received from these volunteer members and rewarded them for their hard work with Wednesday evening set-up and early shopping. While this system worked pretty well and the tables always were set up on time, the overly large number of volunteers (much more than were needed to do the job) often lead to the operation declining into directionally focused anarchy. All the tables got set up, but a great deal of straightening, mistake corrections, eliminating extra rows that appeared out of nowhere and general re-doing had to be done by a small group while the majority of volunteers went off to line up for the unloading. Also, many who wanted to help, and in return receive the reward of Wednesday night set-up, never got the call to join us. They have been, understandably, unhappy with the situation. So, to make a long story short, this is what we are trying this year.

For 2013 a small group, about 80 people, has been chosen to set up the tables. This group will work under much more controlled circumstances and leadership. If you have not been informed that you are on this crew, please do not show up to see if you can help. We want to see if this new set-up system will work as designed. I don't mean to sound rude or ungrateful but I must make this clear, extra bodies will just be in the way. We do appreciate all your past help and I know many of you are willing and able to lend a hand, but please, give us a chance to see if this works. Next year we may increase or decrease the number of workers depending on this years outcome, but for now, we just need the 80 people that have been chosen.

Now, here is the important part for all other table holders. You will still be able to drive-in and set-up on Wednesday if you wish. Keep reading for the details!

Wednesday Dealer Drop-Off for All Table Holders, 5pm to 8pm

All table holders and one helper will be able to enter the hall on Wednesday. Starting at 1pm you can begin picking up your dealer packets. The packet will contain two (2) "Wednesday Only" badges and your drive-in card for your vehicle window. You will need these items to enter the hall. Line-up in parking lot "D" (see drive-in instructions below). We will open the hall at 5pm for all registered table holders and one, and only one, helper. As always, your spouse is welcome to come in with you and will not need an additional badge. Also new this year, Life Members will be able to enter the hall with the table holders at 5pm, just like they can at all of our other shows.

If you choose to set-up on Thursday morning, drive-in will begin at 8am and the hall must be cleared of all vehicles by noon.

New Drive-In Instructions

Remember, the 2013 Show of Shows is now in South Wing A and the East Hall.

Your first step will be to pick up your dealer packet before you get in line. You can get your dealer packet on Wednesday afternoon or Thursday morning, at the front registration area in the front hall lobby of South Wing A. Dealer packets will not be available at the rear of the hall.

Next, you will line up in the rear parking lot, "Lot D." That is the lot next to the horse barns. The entrance will be at overhead door "E-9." DO NOT start the line on the ramps or anywhere in the loading dock area. Please DO NOT block the overhead door or the ramps. Also, DO NOT line up on the road, this must be kept clear. If you do park on the ramp or road, you will be sent to the parking lot and thus to the back of the line. So please do it right the first time.

As in the past, all large trucks, campers, RVs, and vehicles with trailers, will not be able to drive into the hall. Tight turns and limited space will not allow us to get you in. You will need to find space at the loading dock. We will try to help with this as best we can so please be patient. Should you have questions on this point or want to see if your vehicle falls into this category, please email me, Bill Combs, at [email protected].

Next, wait your turn. You will need the DRIVE-IN VEHICLE PERMIT (yellow card), WEDNESDAY ONLY BADGES if unloading on Wednesday evening AND your DEALER BADGES (all from your dealer packet) BEFORE you drive in.

You will notice vehicles entering the hall before the 5pm drive-in time. These will be the officers and directors of the OVMS, work crews and support staff. Do not worry, you are not missing out on anything!

At Wednesday drive in time, 5pm, follow the signs and instructions to the ramp and overhead door "E-9." The Police will put an entry time on your pass. Park and unload as quickly as possible. Because of space limitations, there will be only one unloading lane, not two as in the past, so unload, drop off your goods at your table and move your vehicle ASAP to be considerate of others. You can set-up or shop after you have parked. Exit out door "E-12" and follow the signs and instructions to the road. Park in the lot of your choice. We will cut off drive-in at 8pm. Do not expect to be admitted if you arrive after 8pm.

For those with tables in the East Hall, there is no drive-in available directly into this hall. We will, however, have at least one overhead door open so that you can easily cart in your goods.

So, let's review:

1. You no longer need to throw tables to set-up on Wednesday. Please do not show up to volunteer if you have not been picked for the work crew.
2. You must pick up you dealer packet before entering the hall. Packets can be picked up after 1pm at the front registration desk.
3. Only the TABLE HOLDER and ONE HELPER will be admitted to the hall on Wednesday, spouses excepted.
4. Wednesday evening drive-in, drop-off and set-up begin at 5pm and will end at 8pm. Do not expect to be admitted if you arrive after 8pm. Thursday drive-in will begin a 8am and all vehicles must be out by noon.

I promise that I will do everything in my power to make this as easy for you as possible and I know I can count on all the SOS participants to cooperate fully and cheerfully to continue to make this a valuable portion of our show. If you should have questions or suggestions, please email me, Bill Combs, at [email protected].

A Man with a Camera

At the next Show of Shows, you may notice a gentleman wandering the aisles with a small video camera. This will be Chris Armold. He is a professional photographer/cinematographer, author of the respected helmet reference books Steel Pots and Painted Steel and the co-administrator of the OVMS facebook page. He is working for the OVMS to produce a series of videos to use in future TV advertisements and a YouTube channel to promote our shows. He knows our hobby and will be respectful, but because of the nature of his work, may seem just a little intrusive. Give him a smile and say hello when you see him. Cut him some slack and give him a helping hand. He is one of the good guys and on our side, and not a spy for the Shadow Government.

No Packing Up Until 3pm On Saturday

As in the past, table holders will be required to remain set-up and doing business until 3pm on Saturday. This does not mean that you can pack up at noon and hang out at an empty table. Our members and guests expect a full show and you to be open for business until 3pm. This must be done to insure that the SOS remains the best show of its kind, anywhere. Please make your travel plans according to this schedule. We all profit from your co-operation and I personally hate having to waste my limited show fun time being a "Table Nazi" looking for those who have left early. Also, do not rely on your neighbor to cover for you. Fair warning, past experience shows that they will rat you out in hopes of gaining your table.

I look forward to seeing all of you in Louisville. Until then, we at the OVMS have a lot of work to finish so that you will have a fun and profitable show. Drive safely and bring good stuff!

Bill Combs
OVMS President.

Thanks Jeff! I am doing my final postcard organization today in preparation for hauling these books to the show.

A Man with a Camera

At the next Show of Shows, you may notice a gentleman wandering the aisles with a small video camera. This will be Chris Armold. He is a professional photographer/cinematographer, author of the respected helmet reference books Steel Pots and Painted Steel and the co-administrator of the OVMS facebook page. He is working for the OVMS to produce a series of videos to use in future TV advertisements and a YouTube channel to promote our shows. He knows our hobby and will be respectful, but because of the nature of his work, may seem just a little intrusive. Give him a smile and say hello when you see him. Cut him some slack and give him a helping hand. He is one of the good guys and on our side, and not a spy for the Shadow Government.

This could be my big chance to get a spot on dancing with the stars – don't anybody mess it up for me! :wink: :wink:

OK, it is 3 weeks until SOS. I'm feeling like Eric Cartman right now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raTts-iGixU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More SoS info:

If you are a table holder who is NOT a part of the Wednesday morning set-up crew, this may save you some time and frustration.

You can pick up your dealer packets starting around 1:00 pm. HOWEVER - you will not be able to enter the hall until 5:00 pm. This means that you will not be able to walk through the hall from the back to the front "just to get your packet." The police will have the back part of the building locked down, and the only people going in and out will be set-up crew. Park in the front of the hall to get your packet, then go around to the back to line up in parking lot D (the one with the horse barns.)

So James – you can pick up the packet starting at one. We won't even get there until three or four.

Back