Soft Cap ID?

Mike9999

Hello Folks -

Been quite a while since I ventured down the German Headgear Lane, but picked this up on eBay and wondered if anyone had any info on it?

Yes, I know... I should know what I'm buying beforehand, but it looked like something. :???:

Well anyhow, any thoughts appreciated!

Best regards!
- Mike

Attachments

• P1.jpg
    P1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,514
  • P2.jpg
    P2.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,514
  • P3.jpg
    P3.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 1,514
  • P3.jpg
    P3.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 1,507
Unfortunately I can't find my good photo-card, but these give a bit more of a presentation of what the cap should look like.

The cockade has a red felt center and a silver/white outer, the the black fabric.

The maker mark is:
Heinrich Ehrich
MutzenFabrikant
FORTH b/ Nurnberg

Thanks for looking!
- Mike

Oh..., Size 7 :-?

Attachments

• P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 1,473
  • P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 1,473
  • P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 1,473
There is some (very little) information out there that says the Kraftfahr (Motorized) troops of the Imperial German army wore black over black Schirmmutzen with poppy red piping. There was only one battalion in Prussia and one company sized unit in Bavaria. Some say that the Kraftfahr was not organized until 1900 while others say it came about in 1896. Either way the Schirmmutze should have a Reichs Kokarde, and, from what I gather, a Kraftfahr Mutze should have either a Prussian or Bavarian Kokarde. I can find nothing on a red and silver Kokarde for these.

gYcEpd6.jpg

It seems that the more common Schirmmutze worn by motorized troops is made of oil cloth, not wool.

If I had to guess I would think that your Schirmmutze was used by a police or fire department. My second guess would be that it was used by a veteran's organization.

John :?

Thank you John. It may at least be a start. Shows quite a bit of wear. The fellow I received it from had another cap that was different. It had the typical Prussian Kokarde. They came from the same household, so I suppose it is possible they were switched at some time in the last 100 or so.

Best Regards!
- Mike

Mike,
Good find! There is a lot more information there than I dug up.
Looks like your Schirmmutze might fall into that category.

John :)

Just found this:

http://griffinmilitaria.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=29529&cat=33&page=1&search=&since=0&status=&title=

May be another option.

Mike,
I think the mining example is probably the closest.
The one you found on Kaiser's Bunker is blue with a black band, not black on black.
The style of your Schirmmutze is Model 1867 (stubby visor, pillbox shape) so mining would be more reasonable than Kraftfahr.

Check out this mining officer's example:
https://www.antik-buchwald.de/index.php/exponate/uniformen-und-zubehoer/bergbau-schirmmuetze

This is from a Bavarian Streetcar operator (notice no lower piping):
https://www.antik-buchwald.de/index.php/exponate/uniformen-und-zubehoer/bayern-strassenbahner-muetze

Back