Some flare guns (kommandantur Lille)

Since it's bad weather here and i have some spare time, i tought i would show you some of my flare guns. These flare guns were made in occupied Belgium during ww1.

flare_guns_002.jpg

flare_guns_003.jpg

And here's a special flaregun, its an Eisfeld, these were used by German pilots during ww1.

flare_guns_005.jpg

flare_guns_006.jpg

Greetings

Pickelhaube

Thanks for the pics. The FP bug bit me a few years ago. They are fascinating, many unique variations to collect. My field has been German first and second world war.

G2

Flare pistols are interesting, hopefully more people will post photos, here are my exampless, a Kommandanture Lille and a Hebel

A British Cogswell & Harrison and a French M1917

I really love how you've displayed your flare guns :thumb up:

I think i'm gonna steal your idea and display my flare guns the same way.

Later this week i'll post pictures of some of my hebels, for some unknown reason i have like 10 of them, i think i'm a hoarder...

Greetings

Pickelhaube

Pickelhaube said:
I really love how you've displayed your flare guns :thumb up:

I think i'm gonna steal your idea and display my flare guns the same way.

Later this week i'll post pictures of some of my hebels, for some unknown reason i have like 10 of them, i think i'm a hoarder...

Greetings

Pickelhaube

Yes, with 10 Hebels, you are officially a hoarder. I use what we cal "peg board" it is a pressed wood board with holes on a 1 inch grid, the board is covered with burlap (hessian) and the weapons are attached with zip ties. The boards are 16 inches tall, and they mount in rails on the wall that have a deep recess in the top rail and a shallow recess in the bottom one. This allows me to lift the board up and pull the bottom out to remove the display. I have brackets that mount on top of my display back drop that I can then insert the boards into for setting up temporary displays at museums, schools and gun shows.

Thanks for the explanation about your system, it's a great system and it saves alot of space. It's really something i could use here and it is the ideal winterproject for me.

Does anybody on the forum has the cartridge for the eisfeld, i'm looking for the dimensions to make a copy myself since originals are very rare and expensive. Here's a link to a webpage with a picture of the cartridge, unfortunately it's not in English.

http://humanbonb.free.fr/indexPlf.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Greetings

Pickelhaube

Not only great displays, and what better 'material' than hessian for period displays but you are right flares pistol/items are hugely under rated. whilst on the subjects can anyone confirm the flare colours as used by the Imperial Germans in WWI. ie the colours for help/reserves/defensive fire etc when under attack?
VMT
Mark

My understanding is that flare colours were agreed upon on an individual basis, the reasoning being that if a set colour was used all the time then the enemy would learn the meaning of each flare and be able to take action. I can not confirm this, it is something I read many years ago and it made sense to me at the time.

Back