Some newbie questions

Mild_Turkey

Random Pickelhaube questions, feel free to answer any of them

1. (Main Question) What's the best way to look for and buy Pickelhaube?

2. At this point in time what's a rough estimate for the value of a Prussian m95

3. How do a tell if a chinstrap is original

Your main question is not that easy to answer......a reputable militaria dealer would be first and one which specializes in pickelhaubes is Age of Kings . They are based in Tx and have a website. Other sources would be militaria shows or EBay but you have to have knowledge and experience so as not to get burned by fakes. If potentially buying off the internet, post pictures here and our members will help out.
Value depends on condition, a decent Prussian one ....... approx $650.
Original straps have sold on Ebay for $250. There are fakes out there, and again best post pictures here and get some expert opinions. The leather should look old and stressed, most are hand stitched, some are riveted. The leather is only dyed on one side. The fittings also have certain characteristics as well. Before buying, hang out here read posts and ask questions, buy some reference books which are listed on the forum. We also have wanted and for sale sections on this forum where members can buy and sell.

1. Neigbors
Flea Markets
ebay
dealers
This forum

2.$450-$750

3.Not a n easy question to answer . Obvious if it is bright and shiny it is a copy . With experience you probably can tell in an instant .

The easiest for me is to smell it . If it smells like leather it is new . If is smells dusty or like an old attic , the chances are it is real.

You can't copy the smell of time .

Other collectors have been my best source for helmets. From what I've seen the majority of the pieces on eBay are either junk or over priced (I'm cheap). As to the value that's been pretty well answered (although when I start collecting $35 would have been too much). The chin strap - that is an interesting point, so many helmets are missing them, it is the one item on a helmet that I don't find objectionable to have been replaced. But there are different types of replacements, there are junk ones that don't even come close to looking like originals all the way to "rebuilt" originals (the leather has been replaced but original fittings ). There are several good postings on this board about chin straps as well as sites like http://www.kaisersbunker.com/index2.htm and http://pickelhauben.net, both full of useful information. BTW First thing to look for on a strap is if it black on both sides of the leather, originals were only on one side.

b.loree said:
Great point.....I forgot smell! :)

Be careful of the "smell" now-a-days. I was enlightened a short while back on a technique being used to fake leather. There are dealers here in the desert southwest of the US, cowboy country, that are faking saddles, holsters, and other cowboy stuff by soaking new leather in DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid). DEF is used to break down oxides of nitrogen in the diesel exhaust stream turning it into N2 and H2O. DEF is 32.5% Urea (NH2)2CO that makes leather look, feel, and smell old. Urea is a small component of urine, so when the leather is treated in this fashion it smells like old sweat. I have to admit that it makes for a VERY convincing fake.

John :)

Interesting John, thanks for the heads up. The ancient Romans also collected urine to be used in their tanning process, so we appear to have gone full circle.

The best is to ask this Forum about their oppinions. Collecting spiked Helmets is very complex, there are so many small differences which you all have to know.
I‘m also quite new collector and started one year ago to read all articles on the Websites Kaiserbunker.com and Pickelhauben.net. Next you should read some Books about this topic (more are better), a good choice and explanations about helpfull Books could have been found on Col. J’s Site: pickelhauben.net (unfortunately I can‘t find it on my iphone today). But I can recommend the Books of James Turinetti (Kaiserhelmets.com) and Militaria.at :thumb up:

Back